random question, but something I just observed

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:56 pm

Sorry I haven't been around much....kind of in the dumps lately

I've had a couple pints of a Schwarzbier I brewed last summer tonight and while I really like it, I've noticed that the head/foam left on the top really seems to crack (if that makes sense) when I tilt the pint back for a sip. I took a pic to share because I'm a giving motherfucker so take a look:

It seems on most other beers I have, the entire head drifts towards the rim of the glass as I tilt it back. On this beer, as I tilt the glass back, the foam on top really cracks up and heads towards the lip I'm drinking from in big chunks. I've never seen this before in any of my homebrews nor in any commercial beers I've had.

Is this attributed to anything? Realize the beer was an extract brew with steeping grains. Pitched onto a 2nd generation of WLP830 and had lager'd for 6ish+ months before pouring the first pint. I've been drinking it for a couple weeks now and I guess I just happen to be in one of those moods where I'm looking for anything to take my mind off the BS that life throws at you and happened to notice that the head on my beer is chunkier than I remember on any of my other beers.

Any ideas or am I just grasping at straws?
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Re: random question, but something I just observed

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:01 pm

It's just a lot of protein and/or dextrins. I've seen this in many beers. RDWHAHB
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:19 pm

Is this something that should/can be corrected? The beer tastes great, but the head cracking really caught my attention
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:39 pm

No, it's fine. Nothing wrong. When a "rocky" head settles, that's what you get.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing