To boil or not to boil extract?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm

Hello all,

I just brewed my first batch of beer and it has turned out to be delicious and well done. I'm very pleased.

I would like some suggestions here for future brewing. I would like to do one more extract kit before trying some mini-mash projects. My question is should one boil the LME from the kit or not? I was listening to the BrewStrong podcast on kits and I believe John said not to. But I also have read several books that suggest that one should. I did on my first batch and it turned out acceptable.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

B.
Next Brew: Spiced Winter Ale & Blonde Ale
Fermenting: Brown Ale & Mead
Conditioning: SMASH Ale (Pilsner/Simcoe)
Drinking: Saison & IIPA
http://bradsbrewing.freetzi.com/
Proud Twittergame Winner 13May2012!
Proud DOTW Winner 13 May 2013!
bburen

Re: To boil or not to boil extract?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:32 pm

I have always boiled the extract (Be it DME or LME) for two reasons

1. your hops will be better utilized due to the isomerization that occurs during the boiling of the wort

2. you are assuring yourself that your precious wort is sanitized completely before chilling
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:37 pm

You could do a late extract method to get proper utilization and not have carmelization or lose of head retention or the "extract twang"
"Owning a Type R is like a dream... You wake up and it's gone!" - some Honda guy
pythoner

Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Palmer was speaking specifically of prehopped malt extract kits

If it is unhopped, the hops at least must be boiled. Water is a different pH than wort so you'll get a different chatacter boiling hops in beer. If using hops in the boil and any unhopped extract boil at least some of the extract at least as long as the hops (technically extract first, wait for hot break and then add hops or you'll see foam lik you wouldn't believe). I would think mayb on the order of 2-3 pounds of extract per 5 galloms (giving a 1.020-25ish preboil gravity, same gravity as a small beer. less malt same gravity for partial boil). Hopped extract/remaining unhopped add at end to pasteurize it.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Awesome. Thanks yall!
bburen

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:38 pm

I have allways done the full hour boil with very good results. I think I might try the late extract method just to see how it works. After all this is the fun of it all.....besides drinking it LOL :aaron
fatcat660

Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:54 pm

I boil for 20min and like the results.
Private Krizwit
krizwit

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:44 am

Full boil is the best way. You can then boil all ingredients for a complete 60 minutes, or more. It made a huge difference for me. I went from making mediocre beer to award winning beer by utilizing full boils.
I had to replace my motion sensor light on the front of my house. I made a mistake and replaced it with a emotion sensor light. Every time the guy across the street from me got mad at his wife, it would turn on.
Shiney_McShine

Location: Planet Scott™ near Atlanta. Brewer of Planet Scott's™ Ring Around Uranus Beers.

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing