Large amount of Hops in Primary...

Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:57 pm

I wasnt sure how to phrase this post...I just started my Pliny Clone and I already have over 4" of trub on the bottom of my carboy. I am planning on racking to secondary in a couple days and then dry hopping...but what about this huge amount of solution saturated in the hops...I mean this is atleast a gallon. I am considering pouring thru a strainer...but this is the first time I have encountered this challenge. I think the purpose of moving to secondary is moving it from the yeast that falls out of solution and this large amt of hops break...but again, this is my my first time crossing this bridge. I know some people use a bag for hops, but Im not sure how I would have added all the different additions, and then het that into the carboy. Thanks for any feedback...
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Large amount of Hops in Primary...

Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:34 pm

Just let it ferment out and you'll be fine. 10-14 days in the primary and then rack to secondary and start the dry hop schedule. I got a lot of sediment when I brewed this as well but it will settle and compact down as active fermentation subsides.
MNHazmat

Re: Large amount of Hops in Primary...

Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Thank you so much...I know this has been asked before, I couldnt find the thread though. Thanks again.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing