Converting an all grain recipe to extract

Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:51 pm

I searched the archives for an answer to this question, because I know it has been asked before, no luck. Im looking at a recipe for Stone's Vertical Epic 08, and there is no explanation for the amount of grain except in percentage...Im still extract brewing or partial grain, but Im not sure how much extract this translates to. The grain bill is:

Pale malt 87%
Flaked Oats 6.5%
Light candi sugar syrup 5.5%
Blonde Candi sugar powder 1.0%

The hops I think I can convert, although do I still need to increase them if they are not adding any to the mash? Thanks, if this is too technical of a question to answer here I understand, Im going to buy Beersmith soon. Was hoping to brew this sooner. Thanks again. This is the link that I found the recipe on

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/Wca256c660276b.htm
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Converting an all grain recipe to extract

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:24 pm

You get a 3 week free trial with Beersmith.....ahve you already burned through that???

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:26 pm

crashlann wrote:I searched the archives for an answer to this question, because I know it has been asked before, no luck. Im looking at a recipe for Stone's Vertical Epic 08, and there is no explanation for the amount of grain except in percentage...Im still extract brewing or partial grain, but Im not sure how much extract this translates to. The grain bill is:

Pale malt 87%
Flaked Oats 6.5%
Light candi sugar syrup 5.5%
Blonde Candi sugar powder 1.0%

I punched the numbers into my software as is then swapped the pale malt for golden light DME and adjusted the OG back down to 1076 and came up with (not sure this is the best way but maybe it can get you started):

6.282kg Golden Light DME
0.469kg Flaked Oats
0.397kg Light candi syrup
0.072kg Blonde candi sugar

crashlann wrote:The hops I think I can convert, although do I still need to increase them if they are not adding any to the mash? Thanks, if this is too technical of a question to answer here I understand, Im going to buy Beersmith soon. Was hoping to brew this sooner. Thanks again. This is the link that I found the recipe on

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/Wca256c660276b.htm

Since they're all kettle additions no adjustment should be necessary if you do a full boil. Good luck looks like a tasty brew.
jm

Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:44 pm

That conversion won't quite work. The flaked oats have no enzymes to convert the starches so you will need to do a minimash on them. Looks like you have roughly a pound of oats, so I would mash them with about 2 pounds of pale malt to make sure you have plenty of enzymes. Round down the amount of dme to an even unit (so you don't have an open bag sitting around) and make up the difference with the 2 row and oats. If you don't mash the oats you will get a lot of starch in the beer, leading to cloudiness and stability problems if you age this beer like it should.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing