Re: Blowout from Extract Kit...repercussions?

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:18 am

No doubt! Ferm-cap S is da bomb! Really does help quite a bit when the fermentation starts raging towards the top. Has definitely saved me from a big clean up more than once and I have never had ANY problem with head retention in any of my beers.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Re: Blowout from Extract Kit...repercussions?

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:26 am

I just brewed my 1st 5 gal batch, using a 6.5 gal bucket for a fermenter. Out of fear of the unknown, I inserted my airlock, but ran 1/2" inside diameter tubing from the airlock into a growler with water and one-step sanitizer solution as a blowoff. Brewed on Sat morning, and on Mon evening I pulled the tube and filled the airlock with the sanitized solution and capped it. By Mon night the bubbling had slowed enough and I could see that the krausen still had plenty of room in the bucket. My OG was only around 1.045, so I didn't think I had too much to worry about, but better safe..
• considering: first lager
• primary:
• secondary:
• drinking: JBA batch #2
• bottle conditioning: Best Bitter
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier
jimlin

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing