Bottling my Tripel this weekend...save the yeast??

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:11 pm

OK, well the Tripel that I overtemped in the fermentor is smelling and tasting great. It is down to 1.019FG, and doesnt look active much at all anymore. I am planning on bottling this weekend, and wondering if I can keep the yeast. I used WLP500, and would like to use it to make a Belgian style IPA, kind of like the Stone Cali-Belgi I was thinking. I have been reading and listening to the Brewstrong Podcasts, but Im a little confused on how to save it. It is in a carboy, so I cant really scoop the top layer out, I will have to pour it out into a sterile container, and then wash it like I heard on the Podcast. Then do I make a starter with a small amount at room temp when Im ready to brew again? That is my big question. Do I just add a couple cups of what I save to my next brew, or make a starter with it later?

Second question, should I cold lager the Tripel after bottling for a couple weeks, and what does this accomplish? Ive heard Jamil talking about this on one of the Podcasts but Im a little unclear on the purpose...

Thanks for any input.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Bottling my Tripel this weekend...save the yeast??

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:32 am

I wouldn't save the yeast, it gets stressed out during high alcohol fementations, so it will cause problems if you try to use it again.

As far as the cold lagering, Personally I wouldn't. I keep all my bottles at room temp for at least a few weeks to make sure they carbonate. Of course aging a triple will only make it better, so patience before you drink will pay off in the end. Or if you're like me and can't wait, stash at least 12-24 bottles out of they way so you can stumble on them in 1-5 years and enjoy!
My wife used to call me an alcoholic, so I started brewing beer. Now I have a hobby, and I'm a beer enthusiast, not an alcoholic.
Crinkle

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:50 pm

I agree, after fermenting such a high gravity beer your yeast is likely stressed, there's a good chance you won't get what you want out of it the next time around. You're better off buying new yeast rather than risking it and possibly ruining a batch of beer.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks a million. I will post results.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing