Franziskaner clone?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:51 am

Does anyone have a decent recipe for this? I decided to brew this for my buddies wedding, and want to add a little bit of a honey malt for flavor. Keep in mind I have only done partial mash/extract brewing so far, so this recipe needs to be doable with standard equipment.

Thanks!
Drinking one new beer everyday for one year. More than halfway there!

http://365beers.wordpress.com
noslenwerd

Re: Franziskaner clone?

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Here's what I'd do if I wanted to add some Honey malt in a partial mash recipe:

1 lb Wheat malt
1/2 lb Honey malt
6 lbs Wheat DME
3/4 oz Hallertaur 4% at 60
Wyeast 3068

That's it! True Bavarian Hefeweizen is about as simple as a beer gets and is still pure goodness.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:50 am

BDawg wrote:Here's what I'd do if I wanted to add some Honey malt in a partial mash recipe:

1 lb Wheat malt
1/2 lb Honey malt
6 lbs Wheat DME
3/4 oz Hallertaur 4% at 60
Wyeast 3068

That's it! True Bavarian Hefeweizen is about as simple as a beer gets and is still pure goodness.

Great thank you. Is this a franzy recipe or just a bavarian hefe in general?

noslenwerd

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:07 am

Bavarian Hefe in general, but there's not a whole lot of changes that can be made anyways in this style. The grain bill is by German Law >50% Wheat malt, and backfilled by Pilsner malt.
They are traditionally hopped to around 13 IBUs using traditional German Noble hops, with no flavor or aroma hops. The single small charge of Hallertaur (Mittelfruh if you can get it, but any variant, including its' American daughters like Sterling, Mt. Hood, Libert, or Crystal, will work beautifully too) will add pleasant light, clean & spicy bitterness only.

You asked for Honey malt, so I simply added a half pound to accomodate that request, and since you need to mash it, added a lb of Wheat malt to convert it and not go below 50% wheat malt requirement of German Hefe's in general.

Yeast wise, 3068 from Wyeast is sourced from Weinstephan, but its flavor profile gives by far the best hefeweizens I've ever tasted. Maybe if you really want to go for the true match,you could try to culture from a few bottles of Franziskaner. That's a lot of work, but it would probably be the one thing that could change the flavor profile the most.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
BDawg

Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:50 am

BDawg wrote:Bavarian Hefe in general, but there's not a whole lot of changes that can be made anyways in this style. The grain bill is by German Law >50% Wheat malt, and backfilled by Pilsner malt.
They are traditionally hopped to around 13 IBUs using traditional German Noble hops, with no flavor or aroma hops. The single small charge of Hallertaur (Mittelfruh if you can get it, but any variant, including its' American daughters like Sterling, Mt. Hood, Libert, or Crystal, will work beautifully too) will add pleasant light, clean & spicy bitterness only.

You asked for Honey malt, so I simply added a half pound to accomodate that request, and since you need to mash it, added a lb of Wheat malt to convert it and not go below 50% wheat malt requirement of German Hefe's in general.

Yeast wise, 3068 from Wyeast is sourced from Weinstephan, but its flavor profile gives by far the best hefeweizens I've ever tasted. Maybe if you really want to go for the true match,you could try to culture from a few bottles of Franziskaner. That's a lot of work, but it would probably be the one thing that could change the flavor profile the most.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

HTH-

Wow thanks so much for the detailed response. I love weihenstephaner so I will be fine with that yeast. I only requested a franzy clone because I know the bride and groom both like that beer a lot. But as long as its a well made wheat i am sure they will be fine with it.

Last question, the beer needs to be ready for sept 19th. If it were you brewing, when would you do it? I obviously want it to be ready by then, but also want it as fresh as possible.

noslenwerd

Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:13 am

I'd brew it 4 weeks before serving if I was kegging it, 5 weeks if i was bottling.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
BDawg

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing