Re: Need Some Guidance - Under Attenuated Tripel

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 am

Just warm the keg to room temp (or warmer for Belgian yeast, it can handle it) and pitch an active starter in there. If you have one of the older keg lids with the plastic, dome-shaped relief valve, remove it and use an airlock with a small rubber stopper to monitor your progress. If not, just leave the relief valve open. As long as the yeast are actively fermenting when you add them, they'll go right to work and drop your gravity. The spent yeast will be drawn off the bottom of the keg with the first couple of pints.

edit:added pic for clarity
Last edited by Elbone on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:20 am

Elbone wrote:Just warm the keg to room temp (or warmer for Belgian yeast, it can handle it) and pitch an active starter in there. If you have one of the older keg lids with the plastic, dome-shaped relief valve, remove it and use an airlock with a small rubber stopper to monitor your progress. If not, just leave the relief valve open. As long as the yeast are actively fermenting when you add them, they'll go right to work and drop your gravity. The spent yeast will be drawn off the bottom of the keg with the first couple of pints.

I like the way you think! i have a plastic relief valve that is like the faucet on a coffee pot, it can be left open. I was trying to over complicate things.

Since I carbonated the beer already, I wonder if I should aerate?
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:30 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:Since I carbonated the beer already, I wonder if I should aerate?

I would say no. If the starter is at high krausen when you pitch, then it's past its growth phase and doesn't need any more O2. Oxygenate the starter wort well at the beginning and you're good. No stir plate, either- you want a strong anaerobic fermentation going on when you add it to the keg.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:31 am

Elbone wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:Since I carbonated the beer already, I wonder if I should aerate?

I would say no. If the starter is at high krausen when you pitch, then it's past its growth phase and doesn't need any more O2. Oxygenate the starter wort well at the beginning and you're good. No stir plate, either- you want a strong anaerobic fermentation going on when you add it to the keg.

Danke!
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:07 pm

healthy yeast, tempreature and time should chew the OG down, but I'd give the bugs a run in at least part of it. Put if in a carboy somewhere out of the way, forget about it for a few months and see what happens
dags

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing