i think this is a fail

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 pm

I made a saison on sunday. fermentation started out well and this morning i started to smell a bit of an egg smell...and by this afternoon the bubbles have all but stopped. I read that some yeasts give off a smell like this.

I used WLP568 Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend.

I started it at 68 and it's up to 72.

What do you think...is this a fail, normal, or part of the ramping up the temp process.
Justin
Drinking Heads Brewery
Woodbury, NJ
steelwoolstudios

Re: i think this is a fail

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Eggy smells are pretty common with some yeast strains. Just relax, let it do its thing, and have a taste when you rack.

Max
maxwell

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Sulfur in beer tends to be highly volatile and will gas off naturally over the course of, usually, a few days after fermentation has completed. I tend to not keg a beer like a kolsch until no more sulfur is detectable.

The more vigorous the fermentation, the less sulfur tends to be left in solution to gas off.
ChrisKennedy

Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks for talking me off the ledge
Justin
Drinking Heads Brewery
Woodbury, NJ
steelwoolstudios

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:13 pm

I on the other hand killed two different batches by forgetting them in primary. both taste like the autolysis. :evil:
I killed a zombie and ate it's brains. That's how I became the Zombie King.
Billy Klubb

Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 pm

I've had several batches that stunk to high heaven when they fermented but tasted great in the end. Don't worry just yet. Even if it is undrinkable in a month it may taste great in three.
Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Ambrose Bierce
Ironman

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing