First time brewer. Did I mess up my English Brown Ale?

Tue May 18, 2010 8:24 am

First off hello, new to the site.

I recently finally got around to doing my first ever batch and I am already addicted.

My instructions were to mash the grains (crystal malt) in my recipe between 160-170, for 20 minutes. I accidentally let it shoot up to 175, but it dropped down to 165 within about 8 minutes after i removed from heat. Will this be enough to ruin my first batch? Or is there a larger margin for error with these beginner kits?

Thanks!
Drinking one new beer everyday for one year. More than halfway there!

http://365beers.wordpress.com
noslenwerd

Re: First time brewer. Did I mess up my English Brown Ale?

Tue May 18, 2010 8:41 am

What kind of recipe was it? Extract-Mini mash or All grain?

What was the grain bill for your mash? What was the gravity reading after mashout compared to what you were supposed to get?
Corporal, BN Army
On Tap: Whatever IPA, Oat Stout, Cider, Citra-Mosaic Hopped Cider, Cherry Cider.
Aging: Black Currant Lambic, Oud Bruin, Eng B-wine, 65gal barrel of scabby 3rd runs w/Rosalare-Lacto Brux -we just call T.E.D.
BrewChoPs

Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 am

depends on if you were mashing or steeping the grains. If you were doing an extract brew, you were most likely steeping, and you'd be fine I think (though I've never extract brewed, so I'm no expert). If you were doing all grain, those would be some extremely high mash temps, and your beer will be barely ferment-able.
BN Army :bnarmy:
Evan B

Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 am

If it was only Crystal malts, and your fermentables were coming from extract, you should be okay. You might get some astringency, but it will otherwise be fine. Just watch the temps a little more carefully on your next batch. RDWHAHB :jnj
siwelwerd

Tue May 18, 2010 9:29 am

BrewChoPs wrote:What kind of recipe was it? Extract-Mini mash or All grain?

What was the grain bill for your mash? What was the gravity reading after mashout compared to what you were supposed to get?

As far as the type of recipe, not sure of waht it would be considered? sorry. Had to steep actual grains for 30 minutes, then boil and add extract/hops for 60

3.3 lbs plain amber malt extract
2 lb plain amber dry malt extract
8oz crushed crystal malt
1oz williamette hops
1/2 oz williamette finishing hops

It was on the high (low?) end but in the range at 1.046. It called for between 1.040-1.046

noslenwerd

Tue May 18, 2010 5:39 pm

You might have a touch of astringency, but it'll be a decent beer.

Good luck!
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue May 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Sounds like a good starter kit --- basic extract with steeping grains. I've done many very decent beers with that method when starting out. You should be fine --- an extra week or 2 in the bottle will mellow any taste issues.

Be sure to check in for advice as you move thru the processes. In general brewing is a fairly tolerant process --- it is not tolerant when it comes to keeping your equipment / work area CLEAN and your equipment SANITIZED.

I can only recommend StarSan as a true no-rinse sanitizer

Good luck and have fun

Last piece of advice is stick to some basic brews for your first 3 - 4 beers - keep it simple: some basic amber ales etc. Get your processes down and basic understanding of brewing then try some other styles.
Old_Skool

Wed May 19, 2010 8:58 am

Old_Skool wrote:Sounds like a good starter kit --- basic extract with steeping grains. I've done many very decent beers with that method when starting out. You should be fine --- an extra week or 2 in the bottle will mellow any taste issues.

Be sure to check in for advice as you move thru the processes. In general brewing is a fairly tolerant process --- it is not tolerant when it comes to keeping your equipment / work area CLEAN and your equipment SANITIZED.

I can only recommend StarSan as a true no-rinse sanitizer

Good luck and have fun

Last piece of advice is stick to some basic brews for your first 3 - 4 beers - keep it simple: some basic amber ales etc. Get your processes down and basic understanding of brewing then try some other styles.

Thanks guys!

If you were me, would you move this beer to a secondary? And how long should I wait to actually bottling it. The recipe is telling me 3-7 days it would be ready? that cant be right can it?

noslenwerd

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing