When do you add the LME

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:14 pm

So for the first 20 batches pretty much by the book --- bring to a boil and add the LME. I'm fortunate to either have a friend or my wife pour it in while I stir like a mad man. However I have to wonder --- whats the big deal ? Can't you add it at say 180deg (if you are working solo) and then stir and bring to a boil ? The big deal is not to burn or scorch the LME. I've seen reference to bring to a boil take off the burner and add the LME -- but again why go to the boil ?
Old_Skool

Re: When do you add the LME

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:52 am

you want the wort boiling hot so it can start breaking down the sugars right away and it's easier to hit boil as soon as you get it back on the heat. but I've been doing late addition with my LME. you'll end up with cleaner tasting and lighter color brew.
I killed a zombie and ate it's brains. That's how I became the Zombie King.
Billy Klubb

Re: When do you add the LME

Fri May 28, 2010 2:53 pm

Page 81 of "How to Brew" by John Palmer states in number 2 of "Beginning the Boil."

2. Add the malt extract. Dissolve the 2.5 pounds of dry malt extract into 3 gallons of cold water in the brew pot. You will be boiling the hops in this wort.

In my opinion, dry or liquid, add it in early to start, then a late edition at the end of the brew.

For example, as soon as your steeping grains are done, add in half your extract. Then add in the other half on flame out. I've seen and done it both ways and it works just fine either way. Like what Billy Klubb is saying.
mikebiewer

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing