First Brew = Unsuccessful

Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:15 pm

So, my first batch (Avery IPA Clone) was a failure. It tastes fine I suppose, but it is severely over-carbonated. Over-carbonated to the point of no longer drinkable. I guess I used too much priming sugar...a silly mistake that ruined 5 gallons of beer. I guess I will know better when I bottle my next batch. I hope I am not the only one that has ruined a batch because of a dumb mistake. I would definitely appreciate some stories of careless mistakes for encouragement.

Thanks,
Mark
markOK

Re: First Brew = Unsuccessful

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Hang in there. Most of us fucked up our first batch.
Usually overcarbonation is due to one of 4 things:

1) too much priming sugar
2) uneven distribution of the priming sugar (some will be bottle bombs, others will be flat)
3) sanitation - if the beer tastes sour or funky, then this is why
4) underattenuated - new brewers are over-eager and bottle before the beer has finished.

Just brew again. Check out http://www.howtobrew.com and read the "how to make your first extract batch" chapter and see what you might have done wrong.

BTW- 3/4 cup of priming sugar (dextrose - aka Corn Sugar) is the standard 5 ounce size and it will carbonate 5 gallons in 12 oz bottles to about 2.5 volumes, which is considered to be medium carbonation.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:21 pm

The bad news - there is a near endless combination of ways to mess up a batch

The good news - take lots of notes and observations to build up your skill level. Read up on some of the better brewing books - post questions - ponder answers

A very simple way to carbonate (and this is tuned to exactly 5gal)
- pint of water
- 3/4 cup corn sugar for restrained carbonation --- 1 cup corn sugar for really fizzy

there are 4 table spoons in 1/4 cup --- so that gives you 4 gradients between 3/4cup to 1 cup

Hang in there and keep brewing. You might make your next couple of batches very simple medium amber ales or a pale ale just to keep things simple.

I've got a British IPA in the primary (batch number 20) which is looking that I may have fouled something up .... but you never know -- a few batches ago I was sure my first shot at a cream ale was toast. Its turned out to be a very good brew.
Last edited by Old_Skool on Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Skool

Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:28 am

my first was pretty messed up. I figured due to sanitation issues. it had a good head and aroma, but tasted like a cider vinegar.
I killed a zombie and ate it's brains. That's how I became the Zombie King.
Billy Klubb

Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I used 5oz of sugar and 1 cup of water. I think it was distributed evenly. I put it in the fermenting bucket and then siphoned into it. So, I think I can eliminate too much sugar and uneven distribution.

So that leaves, what I would consider, the two worse of the four possibilities...under-attenuation and sanitization. Hopefully it's not sanitization, because the batch I have fermenting right now I made virtually no changes in the process. But, I was very careful to make sure everything was sanitized well.

I started reading one of Dave Miller's books but it was all very overwhelming and I didn't understand a lot of what I was reading. So, I decided I would make a batch or two, learn a little as I go, and pick it back up. I think it may not be the best book for beginners.

I am fermenting an amber ale right now. Hopefully it turns out better. I am not too discouraged. I'm sure I will get better and I have a lot to look forward to and a lot to learn.
markOK

Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:18 am

markOK wrote:Thanks guys. Very helpful. I used 5oz of sugar and 1 cup of water. I think it was distributed evenly. I put it in the fermenting bucket and then siphoned into it. So, I think I can eliminate too much sugar and uneven distribution.

So that leaves, what I would consider, the two worse of the four possibilities...under-attenuation and sanitization. Hopefully it's not sanitization, because the batch I have fermenting right now I made virtually no changes in the process. But, I was very careful to make sure everything was sanitized well.

I started reading one of Dave Miller's books but it was all very overwhelming and I didn't understand a lot of what I was reading. So, I decided I would make a batch or two, learn a little as I go, and pick it back up. I think it may not be the best book for beginners.

I am fermenting an amber ale right now. Hopefully it turns out better. I am not too discouraged. I'm sure I will get better and I have a lot to look forward to and a lot to learn.

I find 5 oz in 5 gallons to make a very spritzy beer. Try dialing it down to 4. Of course, I like my beers to be a little more gently carbonated. For something like an amber, where you want to taste the malt, that will really help it balance out.

I like Dave Miller's books, but he's very technical. I'd recommend how to brew, by Palmer. It's geared both for beginners and nerds (he usually explains things simply, then reiterates with lots of technical details you don't necessarily need to know unless you're a big nerd like me).
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 am

My attempt at the Mirror Pond Pale Ale recipe from CYBI tasted really good when I kegged it, and was crystal clear. Six weeks later, it was cloudy and sour. No matter how long you brew you will still make mistakes. Fortunately they are just farther and farther apart.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:51 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:No matter how long you brew you will still make mistakes.

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. 6 years and not a single fuck up... unless you count this past January when I left the cleaning water running into the mash-tun flooding the kitchen while my buddy & I stood 15 feet away, oblivious that the kitchen was now under 4" of water and it was starting to drip downstairs. Or maybe that time I added way too much primer and when popping the caps with a Bic lighter outside I could get a full 17 seconds of hangtime (no shitting you, I actually counted one that high). Or the time I was trying to make mead while pretty much obliterated after a regular brew session and effectively dumped a few gallons of a 50/50 honey/water mix on the floor, effectively sticking everything exactly where it was at that point in addition to sending a calling card to every fly on the block (thankfully this wasn't the same time I had the bear wandering around in the back yard).
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing