Re: First Brew = Unsuccessful

Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:00 pm

You didn't say how long you left the first one in fermenting. If you are doing an American Amber right now, you are probably using either US-05, or WLP001, or WYeast 1056 (all the same great yeast). Leave it alone in the primary for 2 full weeks. You should be able to take a gravity reading the night before you plan to bottle/secondary and another one the next day. Both should be in the 1.008-1.013 range, and they should read the same value 2 days in a row. If it is lower, then don't worry about that, but if it is much higher than that, wait a few more days and measure again. When you get 2 days in a row with no changes, then you should be safe to prime and bottle with no risk of bottle grenades.

If you get a weird ass reading like 1.022 for 2 days in a row, then rouse the yeast and see if that helps knock it down.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:05 pm

Well, I left the first on fermenting for 2 weeks, then bottled. It was .002 lower than the recipe. And, yes I am using Wyeast 1056. So, in that case, that would eliminate under-attenuation, right? And, this may be a silly question, but I don't understand the point of a secondary fermentation. I mean how important is that?
markOK

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 am

secondary is usually unnecessary unless you want to add flavors (like fruit or oak) after primary is done. before I started making yeast starters, I'd secondary my big beers with something like WLP099 or a Belgium strain. I've learned since then.
I killed a zombie and ate it's brains. That's how I became the Zombie King.
Billy Klubb

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:59 am

Rarely is secondary fermentation critical. Its a great idea if there's a compelling reason like a very high gravity beer that needs some time hanging out with the yeast after fermentation to work out off flavors. Or if you prefer an extended dry hop. Or if you just can't predict when you're going to have time to bottle. However, in most instances you can go right from primary fermenter to priming pail to bottles. Just make sure fermentation is done.

Ditto on reading How to Brew by John Palmer.
Spelt

Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:23 pm

My first batch took 6 days to start fermenting...I thought I was toast. It eventually took off, but in the end, it tasted a little spicy. It was a Red Ale so I'm not 100% sure why it tasted like that.

I've since changed both my yeast and sanitation practices.

Do another brew. No better way than just going for it!
mikebiewer

Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:05 pm

Spicy-

You are probably tasting phenolics.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:09 pm

markOK wrote:I would definitely appreciate some stories of careless mistakes for encouragement.

There's a treasure trove of asshattery here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10138&hilit=horror+stories

Read, rinse, and do not repeat.
HighCountry

Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Wow... That is a boat load of asshatery indeed. Ha
markOK

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing