Re: First Brew = Unsuccessful

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Not that I have a deep well of knowledge, but the dumbest mistake I almost made was dumping a batch.

My first batch (kit nut brown) was horrendous for the first few bottles. If I could go back in time I might be able to accurately describe the flavors, but my impressions at the time ranged from "aghckt... what the...?" to "that's the worst f'n thing Ive ever drank."

Fast forward a few weeks... "Hey, that tastes like beer!"

I came this close to dumping a batch that, while not an award winner, was a drinkable 5 gallons that I knew I could improve. Patience is the toughest part of homebrewing. Now I just try to brew too much, it allows for proper aging.
BN Army Private First Class

Fermenting: Lucky Day Pale
Kegged: Buckwheat Bulgur & Barley Saison, Kölsch, Styrian Celia Grisette, Single Dubbel, Winter Maple Strong Brown Ale
Alchemywunderkid

Re: First Brew = Unsuccessful

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 am

Alchemywunderkid wrote:Not that I have a deep well of knowledge, but the dumbest mistake I almost made was dumping a batch.

My first batch (kit nut brown) was horrendous for the first few bottles. If I could go back in time I might be able to accurately describe the flavors, but my impressions at the time ranged from "aghckt... what the...?" to "that's the worst f'n thing Ive ever drank."

Fast forward a few weeks... "Hey, that tastes like beer!"

I came this close to dumping a batch that, while not an award winner, was a drinkable 5 gallons that I knew I could improve. Patience is the toughest part of homebrewing. Now I just try to brew too much, it allows for proper aging.

By any chance was that a Hex Nut Brown kit form Midwest Supply? I had a batch of the same last year which behaved exactlt the same way. I dumped a couple bottles out after tasting but came to my senses and let the rest sit for another 2-3 months. After that they tasted pretty ok.

@ markOK: Prior to bottling, something I do to help ensure an even distribution is give the brew a VERY gentle stir with a sanitized spoon after racking it on top of the bottling sugar solution. It works pretty well for me.
"What a piece of work is man! How noble.....oh, fuck it, let's get a drink and forget the whole damned thing." -Mr. Newbury - Gross Pointe Blank
Scratchnsniff

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing