Whirlfloc and Extract Brewing

Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:32 am

I am currently brewing with extracts and specialty grains. Back in the old days when I brewed I would use Irish Moss and when I recently came back to brewing the LHBS recommended Whirlfloc instead. But then I read in "How to Brew" that it is not recommended to use Whirfloc or Irish Moss in extract brews. So I posted on another forum wondering if that is why my first ale was a little thin in bosy and perhaps I should not be using whirlfloc. The reply I got was to just use it. So I wanted to get some opinions here.

Should I use Whirlfloc in extract with specialty grain brewing?

Could it affect the body of my beer?

Thanks!
Bassman

Re: Whirlfloc and Extract Brewing

Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:50 pm

From what I understand, whirlfloc tablets are simly irish moss in tablet form. I could totally be wrong because I don't use them. I have always used irish moss (rehydrated) with good results. Irish moss and whirlfloc will not affect the body of your beer. They only work on clarity and YES you should be using some type of fining in the boil no matter if you are extract or all grain. Unless of course you are brewing a wheat beer where it doesn't matter as much.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 pm

brewinhard wrote:From what I understand, whirlfloc tablets are simly irish moss in tablet form. I could totally be wrong because I don't use them. I have always used irish moss (rehydrated) with good results. Irish moss and whirlfloc will not affect the body of your beer. They only work on clarity and YES you should be using some type of fining in the boil no matter if you are extract or all grain. Unless of course you are brewing a wheat beer where it doesn't matter as much.

+1
Corporal, BN Army, Southeastern PA Division
Vice President--Stoney Creek Homebrewers
TheTodd

Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:15 pm

Cool, thanks.
Bassman

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:34 pm

I use irish moss or whirlfloc and don't have a problem. now disco dancing, that is problem no one should have to face.
I killed a zombie and ate it's brains. That's how I became the Zombie King.
Billy Klubb

Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:46 pm

So why does Palmer not recommend it for extract batches? Is it a case of valuing head retention over clarity? He mentions that "if too much Irish moss is used in the boil, the smaller proteins responsible for head retention can be affected." If that is an issue, would paying careful attention to the dosing eliminate this effect?

He also mentions that it "could reduce the free amino nitrogen that yeast need for nutrition." Is this a big concern? Could the concern be minimized by carefully measured dosing?

I'd like to start fining my beers and this seems like a great option, but I had second thoughts on my last brew after consulting the book.
BN Army Private First Class

Fermenting: Lucky Day Pale
Kegged: Buckwheat Bulgur & Barley Saison, Kölsch, Styrian Celia Grisette, Single Dubbel, Winter Maple Strong Brown Ale
Alchemywunderkid

Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:37 am

Adding Whirfloc to extract beers is a waste of money and time because the hot break has already been removed by the extract manufacturer when they boiled , whirl-pooled and filtered the wort before it was evaporated and the protein flakes you see in in a extract boil are actually cold break that has started to clump because of the heat .The cold break doesn't drop out because the filtered wort is hot before it sent to the evaporator and then cant drop out because of the density of the extract when it cools . Yeast like some Cold break material for nutrition.

Your better off fining your beer with gelatine when the cold break should be removed ...when its cold .
matthendry

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:59 am

Last night I brewed a Mild Ale using the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. I carefully watched for the hot break before I added the bittering hops. I got none, which is inline with what matthendry wrote. I ended up using whirlfloc but for my ESB tomorrow I'm not using it.
Bassman

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing