Re: First Batch of Wort ever - Newbie Question

Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:59 pm

It all comes down to figuring out your system... I could tell you what works for me, and in some cases, it would work for you too. But sometimes, what works for me, doesn't work for you and vice versa. Case in point, I was helping a friend brew a batch of beer on his system, while another friend helped him brew a second batch on the system he hauled over. Using a stainless kettle versus an aluminum kettle caused some radically different boil off rates, very little boil off in the stainless on one burner, and a great deal in the aluminum on another burner. Both boiled at about the same intensity...

So, I guess what I'm really saying is that we all went through this initial "figuring things out" stage in brewing. Don't get discouraged, and definitely take advantage of the forums, but figure out what works for you.

By the way, I love the Fermcap-S Foam Inhibitor, it not only keeps the kettle from boiling over, but also keeps my beer from escaping out the blowoff tube! Just my two cents. : )
The Big Hopper, Ranger BN Army, Boise Idaho
The Big Hopper

Re: First Batch of Wort ever - Newbie Question

Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:09 pm

If it makes any difference to ya I just used single ferments for my last like 5 beers and they were all great.

So:
1.boil
2.chill
3.transfer to fermenter*
4.pitch yeast
5.leave until there are no signs of continued fermentation
6.leave for another few days
7.transfer to keg or bottling bucket.

*fermenter size is up to you. Most people including myself find that about a gallon of head space is good to help avoid a large volume loss to blow off.
UcfLumberjack
Go Kinghts!!!!
UcfLumberjack

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing