Re: Oak Chips in Secondary?

Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Dubba,

Have you tried boiling up some water for a couple minutes, then turning the boil off, adding the cubes and letting them sit for 15 min or so, decanting the water and adding the cubes to the beer? That 15 min rest sanitizes the cubes and the water that is poured off leeches a lot of the "fresh" oak taste you are talking about out of the cubes (its even brown and very oaky smelling).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:26 am

brewinhard wrote:Dubba,

Have you tried boiling up some water for a couple minutes, then turning the boil off, adding the cubes and letting them sit for 15 min or so, decanting the water and adding the cubes to the beer? That 15 min rest sanitizes the cubes and the water that is poured off leeches a lot of the "fresh" oak taste you are talking about out of the cubes (its even brown and very oaky smelling).

I have not tried that... I haven't done as much oak-ing that I'd like to, but that's what I want to try on my next beer that I oak just because of how harsh the oak flavor has been in previous beers. It's good, but it's just a little too "fresh". I think that's the only way I know how to put it.

That's the kind of thing that I'm going to try the next time I oak a beer.
Corporal, BN Army

"It's a lot like being drunk."
"What's wrong with that?"
"Ask a glass of water..."
-Douglas Adams
Dubba_Brew

Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Ozwald wrote: Instead of tying them off, have you tried leaving the ends of the floss outside the top hatch when you seal it? You can still get a good seal without the risk of them sliding down the diptube and clogging it, not to mention it's a lot easier to remove them when you need to. Just a tip. :)

I tie them off to the handle on the outside of the keg, but I'm not sure in retrospect why... I'm going to try your way next, and save me some trouble un-knotting it later. Thanks!

Dubba_Brew wrote: I have not tried that... I haven't done as much oak-ing that I'd like to, but that's what I want to try on my next beer that I oak just because of how harsh the oak flavor has been in previous beers. It's good, but it's just a little too "fresh". I think that's the only way I know how to put it.

That's the kind of thing that I'm going to try the next time I oak a beer.

I think I've heard this technique referred to as "oak tea," and it gives you a whole lot of control over the amount of oak flavor in your beer. I seem to remember hearing that Oaked Arrogant Bastard uses the oak tea method, so if you like those results, rock on!
The Big Hopper, Ranger BN Army, Boise Idaho
The Big Hopper

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing