Re: Move from extract to partial mash

Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:00 pm

Pizzagod wrote:I am considering moving on from extract brewing to partial mash. I currently brew in a 9 gallon stainless steel kettle, on one of the Camp Chef propane burners.

Can anyone give me an idea of what equipment I'll need to go from extract brewing to partial mash? I've heard about using an ice chest for part of the process, and wouldn't mind giving this a try.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Pizzagod, did you ever give partial mash a try? If so, how did you make out? I too am going to try partial mash soon and would be interested to see how you did it and what the results were.

If anyone has any more thoughts or suggestions on this subject I would appreciate it.

Rob
2DogAle

Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:09 pm

I don't partial mash per se. I do make all grain starters using a partial mash technique. I simply dump my crushed grains into a 1 gallon drink cooler, add water at about 165° and give everything a good stir. My temp then ends up around 150°. Let it sit for 30 or 40 minutes and then sparge by gently pouring everything into a large strainer sitting in a bowl. Since the strainer is almost the same size and shape as the bowl, there is minimal splashing. I then slowly lift the strainer to drain the wort from the grains and return the grains to the cooler and mashout with some 180° water and repeat the process. A similar technique should work for most partial mashes.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Why partial mash

Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Weezil asked why not go all grain, you're doiing the same thing...yes but on a smaller scale.

I hafta go out in the front yard with all my dreck to do an AG. Sometimes I want a quick and dirty batch, and I dont have time.

I got one of those mini-mashers (a six-pack cooler with a screened "bazooka in the bottom leading to the spout.)

I dough in a couple pounds of two row, stir carfully cover it and 30-45 minutes later I have a wort-like drainings to add to my kettle.

I do a brief boil to keep my colors light, do my hopping and pour into a gallon of cold water and ten lb bag of ice in a sanitized bottling bucket for mixing and temperature establishment.

No chiller or plate chiller needed that I need to bring out , boil, and sanitize as with a full grain batch.

Quick and dirty

I drain the bottling bucket with cold wort into my sanitized carboy and pitch. It has worked every time

Sometimes when I feel more aggressive I bring out all the Dreck and do a full grain batch

It just depends on how ya feel 'bout doing 6 hours work or two hours work

Yodar
Yodar
words MEAN things
yodar

Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:22 am

Lufah wrote:Here is an interesting idea...
Code: Select all
Quick-and-Dirty Partial Mashing

1. Add grains to ~1/2 gallon of water (3/4 for Creamy Stout, Marzen, King Kongs) and raise the temperature to anywhere between 150-158°F. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 40 minutes.

2. Dump the stuff into a kitchen colander or large strainer and catch the runnings in a pot. Pour another 1/2 gallon of hot water over the grain and catch this runoff as well.

3. That's it. Now just add extract, hops, and water and make beer as usual.

Link
BYO Link
How to Brew

Dennys Batch Sparge Page

I would use these instructions if you are going to build a mash tun. It worked well for me anyway :lol:

Travis

I used this linfo that Travis posted and made a kick ass Oatmeal Stout... then, I just said "F" it and went all-grain.

Rob
The more people I meet the more I like my dogs.
2DogAle

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing