Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:38 am

Good deal.

Also, check out the thread about "Justin's Mash.." or something like that. It had some good tips on quick and easy mashes using big nylon steeping bags. Make sure you steep it at about 155f.
I woudl STILL add a little more extract since a 30-min steep and 15-min soarge will leave sugars behind... and who DOESN'T want more alcohol??

Enjoy! 8)

edited 3/8
I had the wrong thread. This is the one:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/phpBB2 ... .php?t=519
Speyedr

Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:35 pm

I just found the Poos Richard's Ale recipe in extract form from the official site:
Poor Richard’s Ale – Mini-Mash/Extract Recipe from beertown.org

For 5 gallons using a 3-gallon boil.
O.G.: 1.068
F.G.: 1.018
IBU: 28.3
SRM: 19.3
BU/GU Ratio: 0.41

Fermentables
3.3 lbs. Light Liquid Malt Extract
1.75 lbs. Light Dry Malt Extract
1.5 lbs. Corn Sugar
1.75 lbs. Biscuit (“High Malt”)
1.0 lbs. Special Roast (“High Malt”)
2.0 oz. Black Patent (“High Malt”)
4.0 oz. Dark Molasses ­ 15 minutes before the end of boil

Hops — Whole Flower Kent Golding
1.0 oz. Kent Golding, (5.0% AA), 60 minutes
1.5 oz. Kent Golding, (5.0% AA), 45 minutes
0.5 oz. Kent Golding, (5.0% AA), 30 minutes
Yeast
English – White Labs WLP002 or Wyeast 1968
—OR—
Scottish – White Labs WLP 028 or Wyeast 1728

For historical accuracy, no fining agents should be used; however, if you just can’t help yourself, use 1 tsp. Irish moss.

Process
Steep the grains in 2 gallons of water at 154° F for 45 minutes. Use 2 to 3 quarts water heated to 170° F to rinse the grains when they are removed. Stir in the dry and the liquid extract and the corn sugar and bring to a boil. Add the first hops at the beginning of the boil. Boil for 60 minutes total, adding the second and third hop additions at 45 and 30 minutes to the end of the boil. Add the dark molasses at 15 minutes to the end of the boil. Cool the wort to 68° F and transfer it to a fermenter with 2 gallons of cold water. Add sterilized water to top up the volume to just over 5 gallons. Take a gravity reading and then pitch the yeast and aerate well.

Carbonation
Force carbonate similar to an Olde Ale or Strong Scottish Ale (1.9 – 2.2 volumes of CO2).
—OR—
Bottle condition using ¾ cup corn sugar.
Now I have on excuses, I have to brew it!

Cheers,
Brewbear
BEER, not just for breakfast any more!
Brewbear

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:25 am

Hi all,
Given that the above recipe is from the official site - one of the recommended recipes for Brew Day, I'm still stuck! I admit, I really don't know enough about the recommended yeasts to make an informed choice so I appeal to the more knowledgeble brewers: Which yeast should I use?
I know that some of the people on the forum brewed this in its AG form, which yeast did you use?

Cheers,
Brewbear
BEER, not just for breakfast any more!
Brewbear

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:21 am

Get which ever yeast they have in stock, there isn't that much of a difference. If they had them both I would go with the english yeast, due to the fact that the english were more promenent in the colonies at the time than the scottish, the scottish migration happened later. The scottish may give you a slightly drier beer with less esters than the english.
Look the 2 yeasts up on the websites for whitelabs and wyeast.
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing