Re: Second brew help

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:23 am

It was partial mash. I had 3.3 lbs of dme and about 6.5 lbs of grain, also pound of sugar and half a pound of oats. It seems like it's done and I have about an inch of trub on the bottom. I'll probably transfer it into secondary just to clear it out. Can I use that trub as my yeast starter for the next batch?
madchemist83

Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:28 am

madchemist83 wrote:It was partial mash. I had 3.3 lbs of dme and about 6.5 lbs of grain, also pound of sugar and half a pound of oats. It seems like it's done and I have about an inch of trub on the bottom. I'll probably transfer it into secondary just to clear it out. Can I use that trub as my yeast starter for the next batch?

You really don't need to transfer to secondary. Leave the beer alone for about ten days to two weeks, then bottle or keg. If you do transfer to secondary, you have another opportunity for oxygen to affect your beer.

As for the trub, yes, you can repitch it. I usually do a small beer of around 1.050 as a starter for a big beer, like a barleywine.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:29 pm

I wanted to condition it on some oak cubes soaked in remy martin vsop and maybe add some hops like sorachi ace
madchemist83

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:32 pm

madchemist83 wrote:I wanted to condition it on some oak cubes soaked in remy martin vsop and maybe add some hops like sorachi ace

Then secondary is a good idea. Sorry. Shoulda read the whole thread! :oops:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:03 pm

No worries I just came up with that. I think it should work. I'll soak oak cubes for 24 hrs and then condition beer for a week.
madchemist83

Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
madchemist83 wrote:I wanted to condition it on some oak cubes soaked in remy martin vsop and maybe add some hops like sorachi ace

Then secondary is a good idea. Sorry. Shoulda read the whole thread! :oops:

Yeah, don't think it was posted elsewhere in the thread. If you are planning on adding new stuff to the beer, a secondary is warranted, if not, you can just leave it be as Dirk said. It would be useful to do a yeast rinse on your trub (described in a couple Sessions and Brew Strongs) to be able to separate your yeast from the break material and any hop bits. Basically, you pour the trub in to a sterile container, let it settle, decant off spent beer. Add cooled sterile water, shake and let settle for 10-15 min. The heavy (gunk) parts will settle first, leaving behind a middle layer of creamy white yeast. This is what you want to pitch to your next batch. Pour it off into another sterile vessel and let settle, decant and pitch.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:31 pm

Thanks spider. Can I store yeast in the fridge?
madchemist83

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:30 am

madchemist83 wrote:Thanks spider. Can I store yeast in the fridge?

You must. Try and use it in the next couple of weeks. After that, you'll probably need to do a starter, or just toss it and start fresh.
siwelwerd

PreviousNext

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing