Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:41 am

Bear,

I have noticed that this yeast is a workhorse at lower temps. If it's working at 70-74 degrees, I am not suprised. I tasted some of my beer a week after this thread was originally posted, and sure enough, the esters were profoundly reduced. I don't think you will have ideal results with your beer due to the temperature you are fermenting at, but you may get a pleasant suprise. If the yeast is thriving, give it a chance. Let it ferment out and see what happens.
I know it won't help on this batch, but next time you might try using a california common lager yeast. It has a higher temperature range and makes great beer.

ps. i have kept beer faily cool in a tub full of Ice. Labor intensive, but effective.

Rease
Build a Man a Fire, he'll be warm for a day. Set a Man on Fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
- Anon
ReaseB

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing