Mead Question...I'm slow...

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Hello Brothas and Sistas....

I am trying a one gallon mead batch out. Mixed my water and clover honey up nicely. Rehydrated Lavlin 71 and pitched with 1 tsp nutrient and 1 tsp acid blend. Put it in the fermenting closet with my brown ale I brewed this morning...I checked on the ale tonight and saw I had a tremendous fermentation going with the mead already. I must say I'm impressed, less than two hours after pitching, its rolling, I've put a blowoff tube in. One thing that I'm a bit puzzled about, a large portion of the honey seems to be settling to the bottom. Is this normal? Do I need to shake or agitate the jug at all? I'm planning on 45 days primary, 45 days secondary and 45 days in bottle before cracking one open.

Any thoughts, criticisms, feedback welcome.

Cheers,

Brad
Next Brew: Spiced Winter Ale & Blonde Ale
Fermenting: Brown Ale & Mead
Conditioning: SMASH Ale (Pilsner/Simcoe)
Drinking: Saison & IIPA
http://bradsbrewing.freetzi.com/
Proud Twittergame Winner 13May2012!
Proud DOTW Winner 13 May 2013!
bburen

Re: Mead Question...I'm slow...

Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:09 pm

Rather nrew to making mead myself, but from what I've been told and read, shake the crap out of the mead a couple times a day. That will help disperse the honey a bit, and the aeration is supposed to be good for the yeast.
Home Brewing Biography: Home brewing? I have extensive knowledge and experience in home brewing. Most every cup of coffee I have ever drank was brewed at home. In a percolator coffee pot. Have you seen one? Skype - JDWebb61 if you want to talk brewing!
JDWebb

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:37 pm

You should degas (either stir with sanitized spoons or wine degasser) or shake a couple times a day to release the built up CO2 which is deadly to the yeast. Be careful because it can shoot out the CO2 in a matter of seconds and make a mess. I degas for about the first week (when I'm doing my staggered nutrient additions).
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks lads!!!
Next Brew: Spiced Winter Ale & Blonde Ale
Fermenting: Brown Ale & Mead
Conditioning: SMASH Ale (Pilsner/Simcoe)
Drinking: Saison & IIPA
http://bradsbrewing.freetzi.com/
Proud Twittergame Winner 13May2012!
Proud DOTW Winner 13 May 2013!
bburen

Return to Mead & Cider