Using Gelatin for Apfelwein without Cold Crashing

Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:27 am

I have 6 gallons of Apfelwein that has been sitting in secondary since late September, which I decided to clear with gelatin two days ago. This is my first time using gelatin, and aside from cold crashing I followed all of the instructions acquired from diligent research, reading forums and speaking with the owner of my local brew shop. Aside from my Apfelwein turning to a light brown mud color in the first two minutes after adding the gelatin, nothing has happed. I'm sure it is too early to be concerned, seeing that my cider is at about 70 degrees, which will slow the process greatly...but I would still like some reassurance. Is there any signs that I should be looking for which indicate that something may be wrong? Any remedy to clear this murkiness if time doesn't do the trick? Below are the steps which I followed, please critique if you see something that can be done better (aside from cold crashing, I just don't have the ability/equipment to cold crash a 6 gallon carboy).

1. Added one tablespoon of gelatin in two cups of luke warm water, covered, and allowed to blossom for 20 min
2. stirred with sanitized spoon, then microwaved to 30 seconds
3. stirred again, then microwaved for 15 seconds
4. repeated step three for four more intervals
5. did not have a thermometer, but guessed that the water was between 150-160 degrees; added to the carboy and watched the gelatin spread and cloud the entire 6 gallons.

Two days later, I'm not seeing any change....I can not tell if there is any sediment settling at the bottom because the apfelwein is too clouded. Thanks in advance for the help. I really appreciate everyone's input.
Yakman619

Re: Using Gelatin for Apfelwein without Cold Crashing

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:17 pm

First off, that's not a very good way to use the gelatin. Second, you may have killed it in the microwave. Third, you need to get it cold to work. Ever made a bowl of jello by leaving it out on the counter?

Next time:

Get a thermometer. Boil the water for a few minutes. Let the temp drop to <150. Stir in gelatin powder. Bloom 10 minutes. Add it & crash it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Ozwalds method works great and delivers consistent results. You say you don't have the ability to cold crash but are your outdoor or garage temps where you live colder than your inside of the house? It may be something to consider to help you get your carboy colder.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm

brewinhard wrote:Ozwalds method works great and delivers consistent results. You say you don't have the ability to cold crash but are your outdoor or garage temps where you live colder than your inside of the house? It may be something to consider to help you get your carboy colder.

I vote clear out the fridge, put that shit outside & put the carboy in. Beer>food. Both in cost & importance. If you're married, you may want to consider doing it on her shopping day or buying a very comfortable couch.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:14 pm

brewinhard wrote:Ozwalds method works great and delivers consistent results. You say you don't have the ability to cold crash but are your outdoor or garage temps where you live colder than your inside of the house? It may be something to consider to help you get your carboy colder.

Brewinhard, I'm in San Diego; not much of a difference between the inside/outside. Pretty much 73 degrees year around...Though it may be worth transferring to the garage because the temp drops a bit in the evening.

Ozwald, as for clearing out the fridge....haha, sooo not happening but I appreciate your enthusiasm. :jnj
Yakman619

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Bucket + ice + salt water? Never tried it, but it might keep the food cold while the carboy's in the fridge. I suppose you could put the carboy in the bucket, but that doesn't sound like nearly as much fun.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:54 pm

Ozwald wrote:Bucket + ice + salt water? Never tried it, but it might keep the food cold while the carboy's in the fridge. I suppose you could put the carboy in the bucket, but that doesn't sound like nearly as much fun.

Haha...sure doesn't. I've lived enough of my life on the edge, gonna play it safe and not piss the wife off with this one. I am thinking about getting a trash bag, then putting in the carboy and around 40 pounds of ice, that might do the job.
Yakman619

Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:31 am

Ozwald wrote:Bucket + ice + salt water? Never tried it, but it might keep the food cold while the carboy's in the fridge. I suppose you could put the carboy in the bucket, but that doesn't sound like nearly as much fun.

I took your advice. Last night I put my carboy in a plastic storage container with 60 pounds of ice, then covered it all with a poncho....Still no change. Is it possible that I used too much Gelatin? What are some possible issues here? Any ideas of what may help if cold crashing doesn't take the gelatin out of suspension?
Yakman619

Next

Return to Mead & Cider