Re: Just got my Ninkasi!

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:29 am

No, because I'm not a fucking cuntbag like the bitch behind the camera. He gets an attitude at times, but I would never egg him on like that.

I'm pretty sure they're illegal to own in Minnesota - there's only a couple states where it's legal & there's a mountain of paperwork, fees, licensing, as well as most respectable breeders will put you on a waiting list. I buttered my breeder up with some homebrew & only had to wait a few months while she did a simple background check - it also helped that a guy in Wisconsin couldn't come out to get his cub & just wanted to wait for the next litter. I think her average wait is 1 or 2 years, depending on demand & the number/size of litters. Buying illegally, such as a wild caught cat or from a dishonest breeder reserves one a special place in hell.

They're definitely not for everyone... or even most for that point. They take an enormous amount of patience, attention, training & dedication. You can pretty much write off all your vacations for the next 2-3 decades. Ninkasi travels fine, in fact he's been across the country & back 3 times with me, it's all the fucking idiots out there. You'll spend hours butchering down meat, weighing it & portioning it for the cat's meals. My boy eats a mixture of beef, chicken & organ meat, beef heart if I can find it but beef liver works in a pinch as well. The ratios are extremely important, especially with the organ meat & fat content. They're a ton of work. I'm not saying that no one here could or should, but it should be something that's extremely well thought out (I'd bet a number of people take themselves off the list in that long waiting period as they realize what they're getting into) & I would never make a recommendation for someone else to get one. I won't even reveal the name of my breeder, here or anywhere - I figure someone who's qualified & really wants one, they'll do their own research finding a breeder & making 100% sure they're not a dirtbag.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:40 am

It's a shame that a few :asshat: ruin it. Like these idiot's keep their pythons in the same room at their infant or buy a grey hound and live in the city. I wish all animals had a just little more paper work before you buy. It would at least filter out the lazy people. :|
NervousDad

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:33 am

+1 Ozwald, having worked in the the field of wildlife nutrition, These cats need a very special diet, thank you for sharing. :jnj
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Yes thanks for the reply.. Yeah after I saw this I did do quite a bit of research of which I found MN was illegal. I do realize the amount of work. I had no intention of just running and getting one all nilly willy lol I would def need a house first :-) I found a couple of breeders that look good so if I ever get to that point I know where to look :-) I am moving out of Minnesota anyways so that's not a problem. It would be a while still if even at all I was just never aware it was even a possibility to own one.. Now the only way I am getting a cat is if it one of these lol
Stinkfist

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:59 pm

Yeah, whoever shot that video should not "own" an animal. I hate to think what that cat has to deal with...

Sad thing is, if she gets what's coming, the cat will pay the price.
dogismycopilot

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:07 pm

maxwell wrote:Does he ever do this?

I'm not gonna lie. I was kind of rooting for the cat.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:04 am

Allow me to clarify. She might be a loving mother, she may fill all the cat's other needs to a 'T', & this might be 'just a game' she plays. Notice I didn't say a 'game' they play.

There's a big difference between a wild animal, an undomesticated animal & a domestic animal. To her, this 'game' (I'm trying real hard to give her the benefit of the doubt, although it doesn't make the situation any better) is likely similar to teasing your lab with a piece of cheese. But how those three divisions of animals take 'teasing' is worlds apart. Basically what I'm talking about here is stress.

For example there was this kid who decided to get a hyena for whatever reason. The stresses of this kid trying to make the hyena adapt to him instead of the other way around led to the hyena running full bore, head on in to a wall. Over. And over. And over. Luckily the kid got rid of the animal, unfortunately the animal will likely never recover from the mental trauma. I don't recall exactly what happened with him, but if the sanctuary who took him was the typical broke organization run by good people, he probably didn't have the resources available to him to fully adapt into the new situation. Whether he survived or not, the kid got to walk away from the smouldering ashes with clean hands.

Cat's tend to be more prone to stress like this. Add on top of that, the lynx family is one of the most high-strung of all large cats. Not a good combination & teasing 'games' like this are only poking the sleeping bear with a stick. I'm not saying that the cat would ever do anything, but it could. More likely it's overall health & well-being are going to be affected, significantly shortening both the quality & length of his life. Judging by the video, I would guess that cat to be 2-3 years old, perhaps a touch older (I could be off on that, since that's a completely different subspecies than what I'm versed in), but that's a lot of years potentially left.

I've also heard about others realizing that a large cat wasn't for them... after about 3-4 years of trying & realizing they just couldn't handle them. Big cats in general, the lynx family especially, bond with one person. Occasionally they'll bond with a couple, but almost always in those situations there is an obvious preference. Once they bond with you, that's it. You can't take them to the pound like a dog & hope they get a new loving home. They won't adjust. Most of those transplanted cats respond by becoming extremely aggressive, stand-offish, reclusive & overly territorial, to the point where the folks in the new home will have a hard time even getting near the enclosure. I've heard of numerous cases where the cat just stopped eating until the extremely sad, inevitable happens. All because the original folks didn't do enough research before diving in... this isn't a pool you can just climb out of without repercussions.

I completely see why there's an outrage in this country about privately owned exotic animals. There's more homes with them than there are qualified persons to care for them responsibly. The big problem is the responsible folks end up taking the backlash from it while all you hear about on TV & the news are the idiots giving the rest of us a bad rep. That training I spoke of earlier, what I didn't mention is only about 20% of that training is for the cat. The other 80% is training you. For example, cat's need consistency, a heavily scheduled routine. Something that most have a tough time adapting to. There's plenty of other things that the human will need training in, mostly boiling down to learning how to adapt yourself & your home to him, not the other way around. It's a big deal & quite frankly I wish there were more hurdles on the path before purchase to cut down the numbers going to inadequate places, instead of people learning the hard way, like in that first terrifying year.

Anyhow that's my rant for the morning. Coffee's ready & I'm being harassed that our morning cuddle time is running late. Jesus he's demanding when he wants something.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:23 am

Ozwald wrote: Coffee's ready & I'm being harassed that our morning cuddle time is running late. Jesus he's demanding when he wants something.

I'm assuming Jesus is your Latin lover?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Stuff