Good bratwurt recipe.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:52 pm

I need a good bratwurst recipe to make it at home, tks.
dirtyal

Re: Good bratwurt recipe.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:52 pm

On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Re: Good bratwurt recipe.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:06 pm

I use

8# pork shoulder
1# veal shoulder
.5# salted pork fat back

2 eggs
1 cup of heavy cream
1 12'ish homebrew, style doesn't matter

The spices are 'ish measurements, I never measure but my best guess is it's around there

10 grams white pepper
40 grams salt
10 grams ground ginger
10 grams nutmeg

1. Cube the meat and mix with ground spices before grinding. Place in freezer to chill but do not freeze. After cleaning up pour homebrew and :aaron
2. Grind meat with spices
3. After grinding the meat mix in the eggs and cream
4. Take a small bit cook to test for the seasoning and adjust if needed
4. Stuff the meat into casings and do with as you please.

I use natural hog casings and the amount that you will need depends on the width of the casings. The ones that I use are 1.25"-1.375" in width. Mine are salt packed and if you get those make sure you wash and soak them in water before using. You should always wash them but if they are salt packed they need to be soaked.

Also if you can get your hands on a real stuffer that will help beyond your imagination, like going from a basic brewing system to a fully automated HERMS. I used the stuff for my Kitchen Aid and it worked but it's not the best. A buddy of mine has one like this that I can barrow and it makes a world of difference when stuffing them.

This was from the last time that I made them it was a double batch but the above should yield about 35 brats.

forcera

Return to Great Food VigArously