Re: can't get one of my kegs to not leak when CO2 is attached to

Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 am

I do have plastic disconnects, but I've used 2 different ones on this keg and they both leak and I've put these same 2 disconnects on a different keg and they didn't leak so I'm inclined to think my disconnects are fine and the problem is with the post/poppet.

I got busy building a carbing octopus last night and didn't get around to swapping out the post and poppet on the leaker. Hopefully I can get to it tonight.
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:53 pm

so here's my carbing octopus...well, half octopus I guess.

I got it complete, hooked to the CO2 bottle and listened for leaks. Didn't hear any so I went out to the garage and dunked all of it except the wye connection to the regulator in my bucket of starsan. I checked it after 5 minutes. The top of the bucket was like glass and there were no bubbles.

I then sprayed the wye connector to regulator connection with starsan and saw no bubbles and then sprayed both of the check valve to wye connector connections and saw no bubbles. I then sprayed the flare fitting to check valve connections and once again saw no bubbles.

I then changed the faulty post/poppet on my keg and hooked everything up. I listened very closely and heard nothing. I also wiggled all the connections and heard nothing.

I think I'm good to go!

now I have 3 pin lock kegs and one 2 liter bottle with carbonator cap all carbonating at 11psi!

:pop

San_Diego_Matt

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:07 am

Most excellent. It looks like you are in business.
Quick question(s) for you. Will you be using this set up strictly to carbonate or will you also use it to dispense?
And if so, do you have check valves on each of the "arms" of the octupus or are they on the two lines leading to the co2 tank?

Weenie Boy
Weenie Boy

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:53 am

I have 2 CO2 tanks and 2 regulators so this one will just be for carbonating.

The check valves are only at the wye connector that is screwed into the regulator.

I'm going to build another one with, if I can figure it out, check valves just after the connection of the disconnect. The check valves I've seen are 1/4" on one side and on the other end are whatever size fits into the bottom of the regulator so I'd need some sort of reducer to get them down by the disconnect so as to not get any beer transfer between kegs.

I haven't done any of this research yet and at this point am just using picnic taps to serve from my fridge.

San_Diego_Matt

Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:03 am

Nice. Just asking because you will want to build your serving co2 setup with check valves (or a manifold w/ bulit in check valves) on each of the co2 lines going to your kegs. You will get flavor and yeast migration if you do not. Been there done that.

Nice job.

Weenie Boy
Weenie Boy

Re: can't get one of my kegs to not leak when CO2 is attache

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:49 am

Alright, super pissed at this point at my kegging system.

I've had leaks before, but most of the time I put a little keg lube on there and up the pressure...no problem.

This time, I just went and got my 20 lb CO2 tank filled, found the problem child, and moved the beer to another keg. No leaks when I spray soapy water on there, but I'm still losing pressure. Tightened the regulator until it wont go anymore.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone?
BrandenBA

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:54 am

Did you check all the clamps on your lines/manifold?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Ozwald wrote:Did you check all the clamps on your lines/manifold?

Yeah, I gave each an extra squeeze to be sure. I've been out of town, and am about to be out of town again. I'll let it go flat while I'm out...I'll need to put more time into dissecting the problem. I cut CO2 off to all of the kegs to hear which one was bleeding, but there wasn't any that took more than the other. So, I'm thinking it has to do with my regulator or manifold.
BrandenBA
Corporal in the Beer Army
http://www.thebeerdetective.wordpress.com
Bend, Oregon
Cascadia, Earth
BrandenBA

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing