Re: Comments on the Fullers ESB Show

Mon May 17, 2010 1:46 am

Is the London Pride show getting posted ?
I was a bit confused in the interview when they were talking about the hopping schedule over both beers. Didn't seem clear to me which ones were getting latehopped, dry hopped etc?
I'm also shocked :o about the simple grain bill. ESB, London Pride and even chiswick bitter appear to have such depth of malt character. And the way they finish so low - ESB was 1010. I do however remember seeing these FG notes pinned on a wall while doing the brewery tour in December.
By the way maybe they should have chucked in the Chiswick bitter to the show also (Ordinary bitter)! One hoppy beer.

Anyway - great show.
Eamonn

Mon May 17, 2010 5:10 am

Eamonn wrote:...I do however remember seeing these FG notes pinned on a wall while doing the brewery tour in December.
By the way maybe they should have chucked in the Chiswick bitter to the show also (Ordinary bitter)! One hoppy beer...

Amazing tour and I also loved the Chiswick Bitter it was the NHBD or Big Brew Day Recipe a couple years ago. I brewed it at my house and although not the same, it is on my list for favorite summer beers.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 am

John Keeling wrote an article about their beers for Zymurgy a while back. It might clarify a few things. I can't remember which issue right now, but I'll check. He also mentions using chocolate malt for color adjustments in the article, but I guess that's just to make up for the variations between different lots of crystal and pale malts.
Last edited by Gahr on Tue May 18, 2010 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gahr Smith-Gahrsen, Bergen, Norway

7 Fjell Bryggeri and ABC Brewing
Gahr

Tue May 18, 2010 6:02 am

Hoppocrates is right in regards to the Simpsons C75. I was and always have been under the assumption that Morebeer carries English Crystal malts, come to find out they do not. The crystal they carry is in fact domestic, Great Western, etc....

Big difference!!!!! The domestic was biscuity(domestic trait) in comparison to the English, which gives a deeper, richer caramel flavor.

Definitely seek out Simpsons Dark Crystal 70-80L, both Northern Brewer and Brewmasters Warehouse carry the English crystal malts you need to dial in this recipe.

I also think the partigyle technique would be fun and put you closer to the real thing. I would also not follow the fermentation schedule as the brewer gave next time around. Crashing the ferment from 20C down to 17C halfway through the ferment just felt wrong, and i couldn't get the beer to finish like you mention to 1.010.

Hope this helps....
It's not my f$%*#@g fault!!!!!
Shattheproducer

Tue May 18, 2010 8:04 am

I guess in the end JZ is still the better interviewer :D
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Tue May 18, 2010 4:02 pm

I also think the partigyle technique would be fun and put you closer to the real thing.

I think it'd be fun to try and adjust the recipe to make that work. I am not that smart on how to exactly make that happen, but I do typically batch sparge and check my first batch gravities....maybe in a few months. I think it'd be cool to do two 5-gallon batches of Fullers off one 10-gal all-grain grain bill.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Wed May 19, 2010 12:45 am

i'm trying the no sparge thing this weekend. the fuller's beers are a kinda holy grail for me. ive tried alot of other things in the past with no luck.
mediumsk

Thu May 20, 2010 5:09 am

The Fullers show and the subsequent comments that have emerged on this forum are really the "icing on the cake" for the old Jamil/McDole adage that, "You can have a great recipe, but ultimately it comes down to the brewer and the brewing process".

Was anyone else astonished at the simplicity of the ESB and London Pride recipes? Yet, as many here have noted, brewing these beers has been very difficult. Props to Jamil, McDole, Shat, and all of you guys here on the forum for your diligent efforts. Looking forward to the final recipe.
"Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!" - Gus (Brad Sullivan), in "Canadian Bacon".
ScootsieDoubleday

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?