2013 Top 50 Beers in the World

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:01 am

Not having had many of these I can't comment, but I can say that this definitely shows a trend in the changing tastes of the craft beer drinkers.

What are your thoughts and which beers are missing?

http://www.beerinfo.com/index.php/pages/top50beers.html
12stones

Re: 2013 Top 50 Beers in the World

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 am

Looks like a solid list of rock star beers. There's a big difference between this top 50 and one published by a newspaper or magazine.
I think because of how it's compiled by user input gives it beer street cred. A cool list would the top 50 under 8% ABV. Or 7,6,5,4% ABV for that matter base on their user ratings.
Good find! :aaron <-----Aaron
Keep on Brewin'
Captain Carrot

"Beer makes everything more fun!" (me)
captain carrot

Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 am

Wow...Hill Farmstead has 4 in the top 50. Pretty good for a small VT brewery. My brother lives about 10 minutes from the brewery and I still haven't been there. :evil:

Heady Topper should be right up there next to the Pliny's! The Alchemist just doubled their production. So now they can on Thursdays and sell out late Friday instead of Friday morning. Hard stuff to get if you work during the week. I may need to call in sick on a Thursday and make a trip up there ( and then hit Rock Art and Hill Farmstead ).
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:48 am

I think that is a solid list, so the following comment is not to discredit the list as I think most people who are on rate beer actually try the beers, but did anyone read the opening on this list

"2013 Ratebeer Top 50 Beers in the World
Who were the judges: RateBeer is now home to the most experienced beer critics in the world with ONE HUNDRED EIGHT master beer tasters having over 5,000 documented beer reviews. Jan Bolvig of VestJylland, Denmark is the world beer reviews leader with 27,828 beer reviews to his credit. RateBeer is also home to countless certified cicerones, GABF, GBBF and BJCP judges."

Jan Bolvig has tasted and reviewed 27, 828 beers, I find that incrediably difficult to believe. I can see someone doing 5,000, but even that is a difficult feet to perform in itself, though it is doable.
CRBrewHound

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:14 am

CRBrewHound wrote:Jan Bolvig has tasted and reviewed 27, 828 beers, I find that incrediably difficult to believe. I can see someone doing 5,000, but even that is a difficult feet to perform in itself, though it is doable.

How do you figure impossible? If you were to do 5 beer reviews a day, it would only take approximately 15 years to complete all those as long as you didn't skip a day.
12stones

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:13 pm

my buddy was just in ft myers and went to cigar city while he was down there. He had his mommy send him 3 cases of it. I cannot wait to try them suckers. Ive heard nothing but good things about them.
And DARKNESS, BABY!
snowcapt

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:51 pm

12stones wrote:
CRBrewHound wrote:Jan Bolvig has tasted and reviewed 27, 828 beers, I find that incrediably difficult to believe. I can see someone doing 5,000, but even that is a difficult feet to perform in itself, though it is doable.

How do you figure impossible? If you were to do 5 beer reviews a day, it would only take approximately 15 years to complete all those as long as you didn't skip a day.

Where did I say impossible? rate beer has not even been around for 15 years, so that would mean he would have been reviewing and saving in anticipation of its creation, wow that is some serious dedication to the cause. I think a handy is in order!
CRBrewHound

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:59 am

Michael Jackson once said how many beers he tries on a daily basis. I can't remember the number but it was really high up there. Something like 40 or 50 I think. Could've been more.

You could also have a couple friends over & try a dozen different beers in no time at all by splitting each bottle 3 or 4 ways.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Beer Reviews