Re: 2013 Top 50 Beers in the World

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

These lists should be renamed... They should be called 50 hype train beers.

There are good beers on this list hell maybe even great but a lot of them come with a shit ton of hype. I have found that with said hype the beers dont live up to said hype. 1 example for me is Heady Topper. Is it a good beer yep but worth the hype and bullshit to trade for it. Not a chance. The Hill Farmstead beers have been a lot of the same. Good solid beers but to much hype. Or at least I am/was expecting more from them.
ACESFULL

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 pm

ACESFULL wrote:These lists should be renamed... They should be called 50 hype train beers.

There are good beers on this list hell maybe even great but a lot of them come with a shit ton of hype. I have found that with said hype the beers dont live up to said hype. 1 example for me is Heady Topper. Is it a good beer yep but worth the hype and bullshit to trade for it. Not a chance. The Hill Farmstead beers have been a lot of the same. Good solid beers but to much hype. Or at least I am/was expecting more from them.

A couple of comments... First, no beer list will be perfect. Too many variables to be able to honestly complete a best beers list.
Take for example this year's list and the sours that are on it. Without much doubt many people would say cantillon is top of sours, however, this year the first sour on the list is from CCB. Now I'll be the first to say that CCB makes great beers but I've had the pilot series Berliner Weisse and while it is a great beer I can't say it is better than all the other sours I have had.

Also, the moment you try and make a top list you automatically create hype if the list maker has any kind of credibility. I say this because there are countless blogs out there making lists of the best this or the best that... because these blogs don't have the credibility to back them up if someone disagrees with the list they chalk it up to the lists problem and not theirs. However, once a credible source like ratebeer makes a list, all of a sudden if that beer isn't the best beer we no longer blame the list but we blame the system.

Each and every beer list that ever comes out needs to be taken with a grain of salt. I had an amazing sour that was dry flowered with actual flour pedals a few weeks ago and it would have held its own against CCB's pilot series BW or the couple cantillons I've had. But because they are a nanobrewery in the unheard of city of Longwood, FL they don't even touch the list.

Let the list of beers be what the list of beers will be. A celebration of good craft beer. Obviously none of the beers that make the lists is a bad beer. And if you happen to find beers that match or are even better than beers on the list, promote them. Tell your friends, tell the BN network. Today we have so much good beer that it can be difficult to sift through the good from the bad.

Again my 2 cents :)

:aaron
theobrew

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 am

Its Beerconomics 101. Demand for a hype beer and a low supply and you get certain beers that will always be on their list. Is Westy really that much better than any other trappist brewery, or is it the fact that the people are paying hundreds of dollars for it, that warrants them to give it a 100 rating.

There is a little brewery in the city of Yakima that had Beer Adv. rate their IPA 100, and it to me was a great beer will it ever be on the list, probably not, unless we all start hyping it up. On a sidenote doesnt it seem that the Midwest is kicking the West Coast's ass on these lists?
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:57 pm

PorkSlapper wrote: On a sidenote doesnt it seem that the Midwest is kicking the West Coast's ass on these lists?

I'm sure JP'd have something to say on this... :roll:

theobrew wrote:with actual flour pedals

AREN'T homophones FUN! :lol:
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:43 am

TheDarkSide wrote:Wow...Hill Farmstead has 4 in the top 50. Pretty good for a small VT brewery. My brother lives about 10 minutes from the brewery and I still haven't been there. :evil:

Heady Topper should be right up there next to the Pliny's! The Alchemist just doubled their production. So now they can on Thursdays and sell out late Friday instead of Friday morning. Hard stuff to get if you work during the week. I may need to call in sick on a Thursday and make a trip up there ( and then hit Rock Art and Hill Farmstead ).

We took a secret vote and elected you to bring a case of each to the NHC this year. :)
Sqhead

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:51 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
PorkSlapper wrote: On a sidenote doesnt it seem that the Midwest is kicking the West Coast's ass on these lists?

I'm sure JP'd have something to say on this... :roll:

theobrew wrote:with actual flour pedals

AREN'T homophones FUN! :lol:

Touche!!!
theobrew

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:14 am

PorkSlapper wrote:On a sidenote doesnt it seem that the Midwest is kicking the West Coast's ass on these lists?

Not surprizing, Everyone on the westcoast is busy growing pot and getting stoned, suprized they still have enough brain cells to even remember how to brew.
CRBrewHound

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:48 am

CRBrewHound wrote:
PorkSlapper wrote:On a sidenote doesnt it seem that the Midwest is kicking the West Coast's ass on these lists?

Not surprizing, Everyone on the westcoast is busy growing pot and getting stoned, suprized they still have enough brain cells to even remember how to brew.

Hey, just cause some of us can lose a thermometer that's laying right in front of us in under 15 seconds... :lol:

You just reprogram yourself so that every time you hear a beeping noise, you instinctively grab the closest container of hops & look for something large, hot & shiny. Brewing is the perfect hobby for a stoner. You stand around, drink beer & watch the mashtun like you're expecting it to do something cool. Psshh, easy.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Reviews