Ayinger Brau Weisse

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:27 pm

After having Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen last week in Vegas I've decided my next brew is going to be a Bavarain Hefeweizen.
So I headed down to the local bottle shop and picked up a few German Hefe's for research purposes.
Tonight is Ayinger Brau Weisse.

Aroma: I pick up a chemical smell with a hint of "puke" smell. This puke smell hits me as the beer is on my palate.
I have picked up the same aroma from Spaten Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier before in a few bottles.

Taste is good - some bananna with citrus finish.

I've read a Hefe's don't last long. This bottle didn't have a date on it and I don't know how it was treated.
dunleav1

Re: Ayinger Brau Weisse

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:58 pm

Only thing i will say is to get that german quality. The only yeast on the market that will do is wyeast 3068 the white labs gets too bubble gummy for me.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Henning1966 wrote:Only thing i will say is to get that german quality. The only yeast on the market that will do is wyeast 3068 the white labs gets too bubble gummy for me.

I'll be using 3068 in this batch. I'll eventually do a w3068, wlp300 and wlp380 side by side comparison for myself when I have some empty fermentor space.
dunleav1

Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:56 am

dunleav1 wrote:...Aroma: I pick up a chemical smell with a hint of "puke" smell. This puke smell hits me as the beer is on my palate.
I have picked up the same aroma from Spaten Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier before in a few bottles.

My wife gets a "sour milk" aroma from all hefes and most Belgian ales. Must be a personal thing...
Quin

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:59 pm

Quin wrote:
dunleav1 wrote:...Aroma: I pick up a chemical smell with a hint of "puke" smell. This puke smell hits me as the beer is on my palate.

My wife gets a "sour milk" aroma from all hefes and most Belgian ales. Must be a personal thing...

I didn't get that aroma from the Gordon Biersch hefe. I'm sure that beer was very fresh.

I'm wondering if it is related to freshness/age of the beer.
dunleav1

Return to Beer Reviews