Re: Favorite Oatmeal Stouts?

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
BadRock wrote:My favorites...
Breckenridge Brewery - Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout
Tommyknocker Brewery - Black Powder Stout
Bristol Brewing Company - Winter Warlock Oatmeal Stout

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Tommyknocker. I haven't had anything of theirs I didn't like.

It's to bad their Black Powder Stout doesn't make it out side the pub.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:37 pm

BadRock wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:
BadRock wrote:My favorites...
Breckenridge Brewery - Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout
Tommyknocker Brewery - Black Powder Stout
Bristol Brewing Company - Winter Warlock Oatmeal Stout

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Tommyknocker. I haven't had anything of theirs I didn't like.

It's to bad their Black Powder Stout doesn't make it out side the pub.

It barely makes it to the pub. Last time I was in the area, they had just sold out! :( I love that place. Gotta get the boss to send me back to our software vendor in Vail.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:04 pm

I will second the Samuel Smiths and Beer Geek Breakfast (especially the BGB one-for-one...even though there were only like 300 made and it didn't leave Europe). My personal favorite is the local brewery Four Peak's Oatmeal Stout, which people either love or absolutely hate. I've never met anyone in-between. Sadly, another one that doesn't make it outside of the brewery.

I am not too partial to the Breckenridge (too sweet to me) or the Bristols. The Bristols was interesting for interesting sake, but still tasted like alcohol after 3 or 4 years of being laid down.

I have the Ballast Point winter special release "Sea Monster Oatmeal Imperial Stout" waiting in my fridge that I can't wait to drink, and a BORIS.
"Beer; so much more than a breakfast drink." -Homer

Bottled:
Aging: Flanders Red
On Deck: Jeez I need to brew...
Bellmer

Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:34 pm

Beer Geek Breakfast far an away. I need to grab some tommyknocker now. i always see it at the shop, but never buy it. i've never had a tommyknocker beer, ever.
Gary

Corporal, BN Army
TampaBrew

Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:44 pm

The only Tommy knocker I ever see is the maple nut brown and the imperial nut brown. I really like the maple nut brown but there was something going on in the 22 of the imperial I had. I even laid it down for a while to find out it was bad.

Blarney Flats should be on my list too, maybe even ahead of Sam Smiths. Alas I am partial ,

Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout was my 1st craft beer. It was the beer that introduced me to what beer tastes like.
:unicornrainbow:
kace069

Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:00 pm

kace069 wrote:I really like the maple nut brown but there was something going on in the 22 of the imperial I had.

I've never really cared for the imperial, I have often thought something was wrong with the samples I've had too. Really the only other great beer they make is their Butt Head Bock. It's a great beer and I think it even medaled last year at GABF.
BadRock
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:59 am

Ah I have seen that one too. My GF has even seen beer delivery trucks with the Tommy Knockers logo on the side of it. But I just don't see Tommy Knockers up for sale in to many places. So I haven't had a chance to have much of their line up.
kace069

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:38 am

Mine is the base beer from Doc's C/C Stout. Seriously, it's one of the best I have ever had of this style. +1 on Anderson Valley's Barney Flats, too.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Reviews