Scottish 60/- with Rye?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a thought that I had today while thinking about brewing when I should have been doing other things.

I have made a scottish 60/- based on Nate Smith's Loose Change a few times and I really like it (took BoS and first place with it too in a local comp). I was looking at the recipe again and it got me thinking that it might be interesting to try to build the body out on it a bit with some malted rye. So, the recipe grain bill currently is:

6.75lb Maris Otter
6oz C120 (UK)
6oz C45 (UK)
4oz Amber
2.5oz Pale Chocolate

No Sparge, OG=1.035

So my thought was to swap out some portion of the Maris Otter with the rye malt, maybe a 0.75 to 1 pound (?). Alternatively, I could go much heavier handed with it and do a couple pounds swap out. I think I might push up the pale chocolate a bit too, maybe 4oz just to push up that a bit.

Thoughts, comments, etc please
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Re: Scottish 60/- with Rye?

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm

NateBrews wrote:Hi All,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a thought that I had today while thinking about brewing when I should have been doing other things.

I have made a scottish 60/- based on Nate Smith's Loose Change a few times and I really like it (took BoS and first place with it too in a local comp). I was looking at the recipe again and it got me thinking that it might be interesting to try to build the body out on it a bit with some malted rye. So, the recipe grain bill currently is:

6.75lb Maris Otter
6oz C120 (UK)
6oz C45 (UK)
4oz Amber
2.5oz Pale Chocolate

No Sparge, OG=1.035

So my thought was to swap out some portion of the Maris Otter with the rye malt, maybe a 0.75 to 1 pound (?). Alternatively, I could go much heavier handed with it and do a couple pounds swap out. I think I might push up the pale chocolate a bit too, maybe 4oz just to push up that a bit.

Thoughts, comments, etc please

I don't have any comments or constructive thoughts other than the idea sounds delicious.
Brewshki

Re: Scottish 60/- with Rye?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:41 pm

Yeah, I think it sounds like a good idea too. I would try 12 oz first and see where that gets you. Not too much, but not too little to not notice its effects on body and mouthfeel.

I have got to brew that loose change recipe up.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles