Mosaic/Citra IPA hopping schedule

Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:25 am

I'm returning from an almost three year brewing hiatus after being diagnosed with Celiac Disease to brew. I'm brewing an American IPA based on this recipe. I've decided to go for broke and switch up the hops to use ones I really like: Mosaic and Citra.

I was never a big recipe maker before and GF brewing is somewhat uncharted territory, so I'm looking for input on a hoping schedule. This is for a 2.5 gallon sorghum-based recipe.

Here is what I've come up with so far:

This is the first time I've use this tool (Brewtarget), but I think we're looking at 85 IBUs. I'm looking for a not-overly-bitter IPA.

Thanks in advance!
Me: I'm gonna drink a Boon Geuze.
SWMBO: You're a booze goon.
PhillyBrewer

Re: Mosaic/Citra IPA hopping schedule

Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:37 am

Welcome back to the obsession, I mean hobby.

There is a recent Dr. Homebrew (maybe the last one) that they talked about a gluten free beer that someone had made. I think it would definitely be worth a listen.

The main take away that I got from it was that the beer dried out more than expected (at least in perception), so you might want to go a bit lower on the IBUs. You might also consider just using a bit of more neutral hop for and do a modest bitterring charge and then add all the citra and mosaic at 15min and less. Also, don't discount the bittering that you will get from the 0 min additions. The software says 0 IBU, but that isn't really true.

Also, have you considered Clarity Ferm in a normal brew?
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Definitely look at clarity ferm. There is a lot of documentation out there. I use it in all of my beers. I don't have a problem with gluten, but they say it works. Other than that I like to do a small bittering addition and load all of my bittering in the last 15 to 0 minutes.
NervousDad

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:12 pm

Unfortunately, I made my supply run Saturday so unless I want to make another (which I don't), I'm stuck with only Citra and Mosaic. FWIW, I plan on adding maltodextrin to help with body.

As far as Clarity Ferm, no to go all glutard but, just because it breaks the gluten down such that the gluten test (ELISA) doesn't recognize it, doesn't necessarily mean all gluten intolerant people will be cool with "gluten reduced" beers. Unfortunately, I've had problems (headaches) with gluten reduced beers (eg. Omission) before.
PhillyBrewer

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:13 pm

NervousDad wrote:I like to do a small bittering addition and load all of my bittering in the last 15 to 0 minutes.

Thanks! So any suggestions on IBUs I should shoot for? What % from 60 min bittering?
PhillyBrewer

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:25 pm

Hm, well if Omission doesn't work for you then I would stay away from Clarity Ferm. I'm reasonably sure that is what they are using to make their beer.

For IBUs, I would shoot lower than you think you should. At 1.056 OG, and the non-barley base coming off drier than usual, I would think you probably want to shoot in the 40s to low 50s. So, maybe 15IBU early and then another 30 from late additions. Again, the 0 minute stuff will give you some bitterness that is hard to tell until you make it.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:30 pm

I've brewed by imperial IPA at a SG of 1.085 with mosaic and citra. I only added the hops in the last 10 minutes of the boil. It has won some awards around my area. I try to keep my imperial IPAs dry and let the "hop bursting" sweeten it back up a little. I mash at 146 plus 1.5 lbs of corn sugar for reference. But if I were brewing for your SG i would do this:
10 min 0.75 oz mosaic
10 min 0.75 oz citra
5 min 0.75 oz mosaic
5 min 0.75 oz citra
0 min 1 oz mosaic
0 min 1 oz citra
1 oz mosaic dry
1 oz citra dry
Wait 3 days on dry taste then decide to stagger another 3 day dry hop on top with the same.
This style with sweeten out the beer with the hop oils.
I have alos messed around with the same recipe but dialing back the hops by 50% and adding hop oil extract at 60 minutes which makes a hell of a less of a mess end the end and produces a similar beer.
Just my 2 cents
Steve
Dump bad beer, don't give it to your friends
cascadiabrewer

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:36 am

cascadiabrewer wrote:This style with sweeten out the beer with the hop oils.
I
Steve

Well described. I feel that a shit ton of fruity hops tend to "sweeten" the beer with their oils as well.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles