Grapefruit Sculpin What BJCP?

Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:05 pm

I brewed a Grapefruit IPA clone.. should it go into Specialty IPA for the new BJCP rules?

I also brewed a Rye Brown IPA should that also go into specialty. Or should I try my luck in both brown and Rye IPA categories?

Thanks!
NervousDad

Re: Grapefruit Sculpin What BJCP?

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:07 pm

I don't see where your grapefruit IPA would fit in the specialty IPA category. I think you would be better off entering it as a fruit beer - base IPA with grapefruit.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:11 pm

I think the grapefruit IPA should be entered into the fruit category as well.

The Rye/Brown IPA, how dark is it?

I could see it either being entered into specialty IPA or possibly Brown IPA, but it might be too dark for Rye IPA unless it's under 14 srm. I'd guess specialty though.
Beerd Man

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:02 pm

I agree, grapefruit IPA is definitely a Fruit Beer.

If the "brown" overwhelms the "rye", just enter it as a brown ipa.
if the "rye" overwhelms the "brown", enter it as a rye IPA.

IMHO, if you have to tell somebody there's rye in it (which is nearly always), then don't mention rye on the form. In my experience, I am pretty sure I would have a very hard time picking out rye from behind the brown/chocolate malts and the hops, in general. It is generally subtle enough as part of a 'normal' grain bill as it is, let alone in with the brown malts.

My .02
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:11 pm

BDawg wrote: In my experience, I am pretty sure I would have a very hard time picking out rye from behind the brown/chocolate malts and the hops, in general. It is generally subtle enough as part of a 'normal' grain bill as it is, let alone in with the brown malts.

My .02

It is a subtle contribution, yet rye can also help to blend those outlying flavors together in a smoother way. It almost adds a "rounding out" of the palate note.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:05 pm

right, and picking it out is difficult for most judges. Leaving it out of the description doesn't make folks hunt for it (and docking you because they missed it).
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:07 am

Thanks everyone! The brown ale is Janet's brown with chocolate rye instead of chocolate malt. It's less than 5%, I can taste it, but only if I was looking for it.
NervousDad

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles