Re: How do you decide what to brew?

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:33 pm

ziggy wrote:I have gone through several phases in my homebrewing experience. I went through a Belgian phase, an IPA phase, a high gravity phase, low gravity phase, now I am in a German lager phase. I like to buy a sack of grain and a yeast and make 3-5 batches of something where I will tweak things but it remains basically the same. For example when I went through my IPA phase I got a sack of rahr 2-row, a pound of centennial, a pound of cascade, and some wyeast 1056 and just started making IPAs varying the OG, IBUs hop schedule, etc. I also like the seasonality of brewing and seasonal beers so that guides me as well.

How long have you been brewing? Do you do all grain or extract? Do you have fermentation temperature control? Do you want to do something challenging? Do you enjoy brew day the most or the end product the most?
These are all things you could ask yourself when considering what "phase" you want to try next. Maybe you want to try low gravity or high gravity or explore different hops, malts, or yeasts. The possibilities are endless.

Great idea about buying bulk quantities and brewing similiar styles for several batches, Im going to put that one into practice!
crashlann

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles