Re: Berliner Weisse

Mon May 06, 2013 7:14 am

Hey Man-

I don't think a sour mash is necessary. It always seemed like a pain in the ass to me as far as clean. Now, if your owner thinks a sour mash is required, I guess that's a different story...

If you're pitching a good sized lacto starter and you can keep the beer warm during fermentation, you should get good souring. Are you pitching lacto first and then sacc? Or are you pitching all together? I think it's good to let the lacto have a head start. Be sure not to overdo the hops. In my experience, lacto is real sensitive to alpha acid. Conversely, I think that means you have little to worry about from lacto getting loose in your brewhouse. If you're paranoid, you could always keep a separate set of rubber parts like hoses for sours.

Are you using any acid malt in the mash? It's nice insurance in this case to get the tartness you want.

Let me know when you'll have it on. I'd love to try it!
Find success in college, work with a college success coach at http://www.deliberateliving.org/
Tom from Raleigh

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles