Jamil's Evil Twin NB kit

Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:25 am

Has anyone brewed Jamil's Evil Twin subbing Cascade for the Centennials, as per the kit Northern Brewer was putting together for a while? I'm drinking a homebrewed version using the recipe from Mr. Malty, and am thinking of subbing out the Centennials and replacing them with a different hop, maybe Simcoe. Curious about any hop combinations that people have tried with this beer.

Also, has anyone tried the commercial version? I sent away for mine, along with the IPA, but it hasn't gotten here yet. I'm especially curious how the homebrew Evil Twin recipe compares to the current commercial version, aside from the fact that there are no boiled hops in the commercial version. I'll probably just ask how people like Heretic's version in the General Discussion forum as well. :)
WalkingStickMan

Re: Jamil's Evil Twin NB kit

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:16 am

I have brewed the Mr. Malty recipe several times and it is a damn fine beer...I would imagine any citrus hop would work including cascade or simcoe in place of the centennials...I have not tried the commercial version as we can not get it here in SLC and brewphoria can't ship here either...so sad for me

:bnarmy: :bnarmy: :bnarmy:
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:17 am

just be sure to adjust your quantities for the different alpha percentages
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:13 am

The commercial beer is a different recipe. We're using pale ale malt, about 12% British crystal ~75L, and a half sack in 30 bbl of British roasted barley. The hops are columbus and citra. The yeast is WLP001. Target a starting gravity of ~15.6 P.

We are still blasting the hops all at the end, but our long hot stand in the WP makes for a higher bittering level than the homebrew technique.

A great beer, but different from the homebrew kit.
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Jamilz I have question about this recipe and maby I'm way to picky, but I have a question after reading MrMalty.com. I have a plate chiller and use ice water I can knock down to pitch temp in 5min. Now on the chiller blog post It states that the longer hot rest a plate chiller causes will drive off essential hop flavor, and may leave you with DMS. Now on the Evil Twin recipe on Mrmalty.com calls for a quick chilling that I can do, but with the commercial version how do you get the same hop flavor and aroma while doing the long hot stand? With the Northern Brewer version of your Evil Twin do you recommend a quick chill after knock out or a hot stand?
Harlanhu28

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:46 pm

jamilz wrote:The commercial beer is a different recipe. We're using pale ale malt, about 12% British crystal ~75L, and a half sack in 30 bbl of British roasted barley. The hops are columbus and citra. The yeast is WLP001. Target a starting gravity of ~15.6 P.

We are still blasting the hops all at the end, but our long hot stand in the WP makes for a higher bittering level than the homebrew technique.

A great beer, but different from the homebrew kit.

Can't wait to hear it on CYBI. The interview should be riviting! :)
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:23 pm

That is the issue with the commercial process. There is no way to do a quick chill of the entire kettle.

I highly recommend chilling the entire batch quickly, to get the best flavor and aroma. Homebrewing is awesome that way.

We make up for the problem by blasting the beer with insane amounts of dry hops.
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 am

Sounds good i will chill it quick thanks! I hope you keep sending kegs to Stone because I can't stay away from Evil Cuz!
Harlanhu28

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles