Re: Bugeater's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:08 pm

I'd go with either Munton's Ale yeast, Safale-s33, Danstar Windsor, Safale S-04, or Danstar Nottingham, in that order (which is generally set up in order of fruity towards more clean British yeasts).
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:38 am

DonMoleon wrote:One final question...

I don't have access to liquid yeast, so what dry yeast should I use as a substitute?

I'd use Danstar Nottingham yeast.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:53 pm

Is the sugar added supposed to ferment out in secondary? How long do you leave the beer in secondary?
Waylit

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:05 am

Waylit wrote:Is the sugar added supposed to ferment out in secondary? How long do you leave the beer in secondary?

I don't do secondary. I added the sugar about 7 days into the fermentation and let it sit another week. But follow your process. If you normally secondary ferment for two weeks, then go two weeks.
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:51 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote: I don't do secondary. I added the sugar about 7 days into the fermentation and let it sit another week. But follow your process. If you normally secondary ferment for two weeks, then go two weeks.

Thanks for the info Dirk. Would you say most of the sugar ferments out? Guess I thought sugar in secondary was supposed to add sweetness to the beer. I used S04, cold crashed, transferred to secondary and added sugar and bourbon mix. Wondering if I'll have enough yeast left to eat some of those sugars?
Waylit

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:58 am

Waylit wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote: I don't do secondary. I added the sugar about 7 days into the fermentation and let it sit another week. But follow your process. If you normally secondary ferment for two weeks, then go two weeks.

Thanks for the info Dirk. Would you say most of the sugar ferments out? Guess I thought sugar in secondary was supposed to add sweetness to the beer. I used S04, cold crashed, transferred to secondary and added sugar and bourbon mix. Wondering if I'll have enough yeast left to eat some of those sugars?

You'll have some yeast still in suspension, and adding the sugar will wake them up a bit. You should be fine.
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:44 pm

I doubled the base malt for mine...

10.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
1.50 lbs. Munich Malt(light)
1 1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America
0.50 lbs. Crystal 120
1.00 lbs. Turbinado Sugar

After adding the sugar to secondary and aging for 5 days, my FG ended up at 1.015. It tastes a bit sweet. For the people that did the winter warmer version... what was your FG ?
Waylit

Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 pm

My winter version finished at 1.020 with the WY 1469 West Yorkshire strain. Granted I had a 1.070 OG and mashed at 154F. The high FG actually married well with the spice tincture blend added to the keg at packaging. At 1.015 your beer should be perfect for a winter warmer version.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles