More Props to Mike McDole

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:17 am

I brewed Mike McDole's Janet's Brown Ale in December, entered it in the 2009 Peach State Brew Off, and it took a first in the American Brown Ale category (was also combined with American Amber Ale).

I knew this was a great beer (the best I entered in the comp.). I was debating whether I should enter it in the American Brown category (10c) or as experimental (23) since it is bigger and hoppier than the guidelines suggest it should be. Looks like the judges did not think it was too over the top (I agree). I think I might have gotten somewhat lucky since they combined 10b and 10c to one flight and I assume the brown ales went later in the flight. I think this is more proof that the taste for bigger and hoppier American ales is not just limited to the west coast any more. I should hurry and bottle and brew some more of this beer since the keg will be empty soon.

My wife even really likes this beer, she usually does not care for bitter or hoppy beers. I was surprised when she asked for this beer over the porter and stout I also had on tap. It is very a very balanced beer for have so many hops. But, that should be expected from recipes from Tasty.

Thanks again for sharing this recipe Mike. :jnj
Beerrific

Re: More Props to Mike McDole

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:35 am

I can never say enough good about this beer. I don't brew it often enough. Soon though. The last time I made it I think it could have been my desert-island beer. Love it!
Too much of a good thing....is a very good thing!

JP: Shat's version of planned parenthood is ordering 2 beers in advance.

PFC BN Army.
Chris_J

Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:50 am

Hey, anybody notice that Tasty is a f-ing TV STAR, now? Check out the lastest run of the Longshot Commercials.... awesome! I can't wait to finally taste this beer.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:04 am

Me make 12G of his recipe. Me Likey. Me drink much.
Henway

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:42 pm

Beerrific wrote:....My wife even really likes this beer, she usually does not care for bitter or hoppy beers.....

Congrats on the blue ribbon.

Just shows you that hoppy beers can be tasty beers. Ask your wife for suggestions on how you can make the beer better. If she has no clue, save a couple of bottles and have her compare a new batch to that old batch to see if you're going in the right direction for her. Best case she designs a great beer, worst case she's part of your hobby and that's fantastic.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:03 pm

TastyMcD wrote:
Beerrific wrote:....My wife even really likes this beer, she usually does not care for bitter or hoppy beers.....

Congrats on the blue ribbon.

Just shows you that hoppy beers can be tasty beers. Ask your wife for suggestions on how you can make the beer better. If she has no clue, save a couple of bottles and have her compare a new batch to that old batch to see if you're going in the right direction for her. Best case she designs a great beer, worst case she's part of your hobby and that's fantastic.

Tasty

No, the worst case is she bludgeons you to death because you can't brew it fast enough. :asshat:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:42 am

Mylo wrote:Hey, anybody notice that Tasty is a f-ing TV STAR, now? Check out the lastest run of the Longshot Commercials.... awesome! I can't wait to finally taste this beer.

Mylo

Sam Adam's rarely advertises up here. Got a youtube link or something?
Too much of a good thing....is a very good thing!

JP: Shat's version of planned parenthood is ordering 2 beers in advance.

PFC BN Army.
Chris_J

Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:05 am

Chris_J wrote:Sam Adam's rarely advertises up here. Got a youtube link or something?

Please don't construe this as shameless self promotion (that's more Jamil's thing :wink: ). I'm only posting this because Chris_J asked and I figure others may have the same request.

I believe this is the commercial: http://samueladams.com/promotions/newsletter/2009_v.2/media/byob.mov

I haven't personally seen what's running on TV because I watch almost everything via DVR and skip the commercials (I get 22 minutes of my life back for every hour of TV).

That is the first time I've seen the box. That's pretty cool.

Every BNer should enter this year's Longshot.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles