Tasty's Water Profiles?

Wed May 18, 2011 6:45 am

Does anyone know of a link to a website or a previous thread about Tasty's Water Profile?

I want to try messing with my water. The more I dig into it, the more confused I get. I think it would be easiest to start with RO water and make some additions from scratch. I really am interested in the "hoppy beer" water profile.

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times already.

Thanks in advance
Fremont Brewer

Re: Tasty's Water Profiles?

Wed May 18, 2011 7:31 am

I get questions about my water profiles all the time. (hundreds not millions.) I think a lot of people ask thinking that's the one thing that's keeping their beers from being exactly like mine. My hoppy beer profile works well for me but I don't think it's in any way optimal. I just don't give water that much attention unless there's a problem.

For hoppy beers, pale ale and above, I use Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm. For all other beers, I use Ca-75ppm, Mg-12pm, Na-35ppm, SO4-120ppm, Cl-100ppm. I don't claim these are anything special and any success I've had could have been despite these profiles. They work for me but I'm sure there are certainly better.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Wed May 18, 2011 6:28 pm

TastyMcD wrote:I get questions about my water profiles all the time. (hundreds not millions.) I think a lot of people ask thinking that's the one thing that's keeping their beers from being exactly like mine. My hoppy beer profile works well for me but I don't think it's in any way optimal. I just don't give water that much attention unless there's a problem.

For hoppy beers, pale ale and above, I use Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm. For all other beers, I use Ca-75ppm, Mg-12pm, Na-35ppm, SO4-120ppm, Cl-100ppm. I don't claim these are anything special and any success I've had could have been despite these profiles. They work for me but I'm sure there are certainly better.

Tasty

Thank you Tasty! :jnj
Fremont Brewer

Wed May 18, 2011 7:09 pm

TastyMcD wrote: They work for me...

Tasty

Of all the things I have learned from Tasty over the years, this is the tops. Pick a process, then hone your craft. The result: world class beer.
:bnarmy:Corporal, BN Army Kettle Scrubbing Squad :bnarmy:
andy77

Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 pm

TastyMcD wrote:I get questions about my water profiles all the time. (hundreds not millions.) I think a lot of people ask thinking that's the one thing that's keeping their beers from being exactly like mine. My hoppy beer profile works well for me but I don't think it's in any way optimal. I just don't give water that much attention unless there's a problem.

Tasty

The sulfate to chloride ratios are really interesting. 5 to 1 for the hoppy beers and almost 1 to 1 for other beers...
Private Krizwit
krizwit

Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:41 am

krizwit wrote:

Tasty

The sulfate to chloride ratios are really interesting. 5 to 1 for the hoppy beers and almost 1 to 1 for other beers...

I noticed that too. As a newbie when it comes to beer making it seems there's so much to learn just about water and I'm no expert chemist. Does water really make much of a difference to the taste of beer? If so are there any good guides on how to pick the optimum water profile or is it just trial and error until you find what works for your own tastes?
TheTavern

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Yes, water can make a huge difference. I've seen beers adjusted in the glass for pH that turn into completely different beers. It is probably the most complex brewing topic to understand.
The book by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski is probably the best one out there. It's about $15.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:58 am

BDawg wrote:The book by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski is probably the best one out there. It's about $15.

Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers
By John Palmer and Colin Kaminski

I need to get that one.

Water is arguably one of the most important factors in making good beer. It isn't the first, or second thing that you need to get right. Those would be sanitation and temperature control. But after you get that down it's water.

Some people live in an area with excellent brew water, and never have to tackle the subject. I started off in a town with such water, but recently moved to a nearby town where the water is high in carbonates and has damn little else in it. For a while I tried making my own mineral profile by additions to RO water, but it turned out less than satisfactory. Now I just visit friends in the nearby burg and sponge water for brewing.
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients