Any Experience w/Ball Lock to Sanke Conversion Kits?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:15 am

So I bought one of these from Kegworks. I'm not new to commercial kegs or to corny kegging, but I'm also not real handy.

So I get all my stuff and one of the ball lock posts seems to have a machining issue with it. When I put the post through the hex nut, there's a lip on one of the posts that doesn't allow it to go all the way through. because of this, when I put everything together, there's no way to get the threads started.

This is a pic of the post that will go through the hex nut:

This is a pic of the post that will NOT go through the hex nut:

It's hard to tell in the pics, but the post that won't go through the hex nut has a bigger lip.

So, before calling Kegworks and going through the hassle of returning the post I have and waiting for a new one to arrive, is there something a simpleton like myself can do to sand/file that little lip down a bit so it'll work? I can tell that the lip doesn't have to disappear completely because the post that will go through also has a lip. It's just that the post that won't go through has a bigger lip that's causing the problem.

So, I've got a file and I've got sandpaper, I've got a vice, a Dewalt drill and am willing to try and do this at home, but I also don't want to screw anything up.

So, give me a run down of what you'd do if you were in my situation and had the limited tools I have.
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Re: Any Experience w/Ball Lock to Sanke Conversion Kits?

Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:15 pm

I believe that you could do this with a vise and a file. But stainless is tough, so it's going to take a while.

Before starting work check the post thoroughly to make sure it isn't defective in another way. Once you set the file to it they're not going to take it back. Rotate the work piece regularly. File each point of the post with a rounding motion using maybe 10-20 strokes per point, then check the fit. Repeat as necessary.

I would avoid the temptation to use a Dremel tool, an angle grinder, or a bench grinder for fear of removing too much material at once such that the post sits in an eccentric position (not centered).
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Re: Any Experience w/Ball Lock to Sanke Conversion Kits?

Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:23 pm

good info! Thanks. I'll give it a shot
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing