Re: My CO2 Regulators suck

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:51 am

bazookazilla wrote:
Bad Goat Brewing wrote:Leaking check valves, or lack of check valves, can cause the pressure on the gauge to change with tempature changes.

What are check valves? How do you use check valves??

They're a device built into most regulators (except the bottom of the line, budget ones). They prevent back flow by only allowing gas to flow through them in one direction.

For instance, when beer warms up, CO2 comes out of solution which would increase head pressure in the keg. The check valve wouldn't allow that gas to flow backwards through the system. Most Sankey keg couplers also have check valves built into them. You don't have to "use" them per se, if they're working, they just work... but as Goat pointed out, if one is leaking or has failed it can cause all sorts of pressure problems.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Re: My CO2 Regulators suck

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:24 pm

Mine is acting crazy. After it has been undisturbed for 30 minutes or so the first pour comes out crazy foamy. The pour right after that comes out fine. If I come back 30 minutes later and pour 2 more beers I get the same thing.
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

My CO2 Regulators suck

Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:59 pm

bazookazilla wrote:Mine is acting crazy. After it has been undisturbed for 30 minutes or so the first pour comes out crazy foamy. The pour right after that comes out fine. If I come back 30 minutes later and pour 2 more beers I get the same thing.

That happens when I over-carbonate beer. It took me a while to figure out what in the hell was going on, replacing poppets and hoses until I realized I had it carbing too long for the temperature I had it at.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing