Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:01 am

jeremymm wrote:Red Star Premier Cuvee seems to be very effective in that regard as well. A few craft distilleries around pee-town are using it.

I love that yeast for meads. Lately, I haven't made any meads without that yeast. It's such a clean, well attenuating yeast that really ferments honey well. Plus it's only 50 cents a pack at my LHBS, and is lightweight and small. I always have four or five extra packs sitting in my fridge at home.
yeast_slurry_speech

Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:33 am

Brancid wrote:I drop the whole carboy in the cooler and fill the remaining space w/ water. The beer never touches the cooler and the water around the carboy buffers the ambient temp.

Thats a better idea you have. It sounds better than the wet t-shirt over the carboy. I'm a new brewer and I am brewing my 3rd batch this week. Any advice is always appreciated from everyone.
Common sense is uncommon
BigBryan

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:11 am

If your ambient temp is high using the wet t-shirt and a fan works great w/ this method as the t-shirt has an endless supply of water to evaporate.
"I always just sit on it with my pants down."

-Push Eject
Brancid

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:22 am

In nice high-and-dry Boulder, CO I'm sure it works great.

In swampy subtropical Florida, I've not had much success with it. Then again, I haven't really tried for about 5 years. Maybe the wet-shirt thing works OK if it sits right under an A/C vent where cool, dry air hits it once in a while.
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:30 am

Very true Danny. I used too live in Pensacola. It wasn't to bad. It never got over 68F during the hottest part of the summer. I just never left the air conditioner :wink: :lol: :lol:
"I always just sit on it with my pants down."

-Push Eject
Brancid

Re: Ferment in Igloo cooler?

Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:25 pm

i have a 6 gallon old igloo (other than my mash tun) in home.i want to know if i can use it as a fermenter ? and what about using it as secondary for long time (4-5 month) ?
GeorgeKizhavana

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment