Blichamann Brew Kettle

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:29 am

I cleaned my 3 piece ball valve and I THINK I replaced everything as it should be. After I start to fill up the kettle, it leaks around the ball valve joint. I put the washer on the outside of the kettle. Thinking it was wrong, I looked at the thermometer. That washer is on the outside as well.
What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
It sucks because I wanted to brew today :(
Member of the BN ARMY.

Nothing like a pint to hold you over to the next one, that's what I always say!
Garrete

Re: Blichamann Brew Kettle

Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:33 am

I don't have a Blichmann, but normally there is some sort of an o-ring (heat resistant in this case) to provide flex so that the hole is sealed. Without it, liquids will seep through the threads and leak. I'd just suggest you go to the hardware store and see if you can find one. They are usually only a buck or two.

(Sorry if I sound like Captain Obvious. I'm just trying to help).
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:09 am

BDawg wrote:(Sorry if I sound like Captain Obvious. I'm just trying to help).

Nope... not at all. There isn't/wasn't one there to begin with so I just figured I did something else wrong.
Thanks for your help.
Member of the BN ARMY.

Nothing like a pint to hold you over to the next one, that's what I always say!
Garrete

Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:19 am

I haven't taken mine apart in years, but I believe the o-ring is on the inside. IIRC there's a recessed groove in that nut of the pickup tube assembly.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:40 am

Idk if this is applicable to the Blichmann products, but i seal my kettle with plumbers tape. Bought it from More Beer and this is what they recommended.
Brewshki

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:38 am

One of my greatest fears is replacing something on my brew system because I know something is going to leak when I am done. It's just Murphy's Law. I recently replaced all of my economy ball valves on my system with these. They are much easier to take apart and clean than 3-piece ball valves and they don't leak.

On another note, I performed an autopsy on my economy ball valves after replacing them and they were disgusting inside. It kind of grossed me out.
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:31 pm

I have those ball valves too and I'm so glad that I got those because they are cake to clean. If you buy one, get the seal rebuild kit for it as well since they are only a few bucks and you will need it sooner or later. That said, I have had mine for 1.5 years and still haven't replaced the seals in it, though it could probably use a set.

I was really shocked the first time I took it apart after a brew day and saw how much crap was lodged inside the nooks and crannies of the mechanism. It really will make you want to avoid regular ball valves from then on.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Return to Brewing Equipment