Carbon Filters

Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:11 am

I have had my gear mothballed for a while and I am all set up to brew on monday. I use tap water that has been run through a carbon filter that I picked up at morebeer. My question is this. I will be replacing the carbon insert event though it is nowhere near the end of its life because I assume that something must be wrong with it since it has sat in the filter for a year. How do you clean/store your carbon filters between batches? I tend to toss them out well before they are used up and I don't want to. thanks
Socal
La Ola es Mio!
SoCal Surfer

Re: Carbon Filters

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:42 pm

I just try to shake out as much water as I can then let it air dry.
I also will replace them earlier than advertised. No reason to try to squeeze out every bit of life from something that is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Ditto. Especially if it's been sitting around a while.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:53 am

SoCal Surfer wrote:I have had my gear mothballed for a while and I am all set up to brew on monday. I use tap water that has been run through a carbon filter that I picked up at morebeer. My question is this. I will be replacing the carbon insert event though it is nowhere near the end of its life because I assume that something must be wrong with it since it has sat in the filter for a year. How do you clean/store your carbon filters between batches? I tend to toss them out well before they are used up and I don't want to. thanks
Socal

If you have it set up semi permanently, run a few gallons of water through it weekly. What I find happens with them is that residual water in them allows bacteria to grow. Washing weekly lessens the impact of that.

Ever think about installing one in the kitchen permanently for combined drinking/beer brewing? No wasted cartridges then. ;-)
charles.blitzstein

Return to Brewing Equipment