SsBrewtech kettle issues

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:19 am

Hi everyone... i have an homebrew setup made with SsBrewtech kettles..

I needed to do some work on a pot: I had to make a hole in the bottom to weld a valve.

I can not weld steel, so I asked a craftsmanthat usually do this kind of work.
But he had sometroubles welding the valve part inside the pot, because (he sayed to me) the bottom of the pot is really thin, so it is easily pierced. The problem is that the outer part, the one in contact with the flame if you heat the pot on the gas, does not seem to be made in steel, so it becomes impossible to weld it ..

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with those pots, or does someone have any ideas on how to weld it? the welding was done at the TIG....

Thanks for your help
federicovth

Re: SsBrewtech kettle issues

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:16 am

If it is a clad bottom - and its not copper color - it is probably aluminum. I am not a professional welder, but I can weld stainless and aluminum; I know of no way to bond aluminum by welding to any other typical metal. Aluminum is just weird stuff; even welding it is different from any anything else.

Assuming that the interior of the pot is stainless, i would use stainless parts and weld it on the inside. Forget about where it passes through the aluminum; just leave that alone. Good luck with that interior weld though - I'm not large, but it is very difficult to weld in such tight spots.
skyeline

Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:57 am

Any decent welder could weld a SS pot, it’s thin but no way near too thin to TIG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LeeH

Tue May 28, 2019 7:17 pm

This is unlikely to work out. You need to look for special welding for this or change the vessel.
Liam

Return to Brewing Equipment