Re: Would appreciate input on new sculpture.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 am

A little late, but I figure I'll chime in. If you don't weld (like me), if you can dream of ever doing it, make sure you build it into your system the first time. It is always more expensive to add it later. I am on my second brew stand and have had each modified to adapt with my brewing desires. Both times, they were things I said I would never need. Do it once and save the money.

I would suggest going single tier since you are already using a pump. One problem with having the boil kettle lower is you will have to get your pump that much lower so that it can prime off the boil kettle. Because when your kettle is lower, you can't gravity drain into the fermenter. You'll need a pump at nearly every other point. So it makes sense to have everything at one height.

A work shelf is a great addition. I don't have one on this stand and wish I did. You can make it fold down to save space.

Have some uprights so that it is easier to do water plumbing to your kettles.

Make sure you get a cover made for your pump.

Pegs to hold spoons are nice.

Casters. Have them before he starts so he can do the holes in the feet for them.

Go big and go deep. I'm glad I did major overkill on the size of the tubing I used. I'm glad I built it big enough to accommodate another could of kettle sizes up. I'm also glad that I made it deep enough so that it doesn't feel like it's going to tip over.

Make sure you have a place to mount the arm for a control panel. Have a plate built so that you can mount a switch for a pump if you aren't doing a control panel.

Maybe an extra pump mounting point in case you ever go to two pumps.

Place to mount a water filter.
I've consumed all of my homebrew. I'm worried. I can't relax. Now what?

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:30 am

Well, good points on the hooks and place to attach the control panel, thanks!
So far still planning Overall it will be 68" long, the depth will be 22". What I had planned for was the step for the boil kettle to be up at about 24 inches off the ground, so the fermentor would sit under it. I was thinking of a solid bottom shelf, with the pumps mounted on the structure under the shelf with just the heads protruding.
It will be constructed of 1.5 steel tube and angle.
I haven't seen the prelim drawings yet so that's what I have so far. I thnk I want to run some kind of junction box to it so the kettles plug right into the stand.
I need a good source for casters if anyone has one?

Cheers
Scott
Beer, what all good things are built upon!
Primary:
Lagering:
On tap: Wharfside Porter
On tap: Braw Jock
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid

Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:58 pm

[quote="brewindruid"]Well, good points on the hooks and place to attach the control panel, thanks!
So far still planning Overall it will be 68" long, the depth will be 22". What I had planned for was the step for the boil kettle to be up at about 24 inches off the ground, so the fermentor would sit under it. I was thinking of a solid bottom shelf, with the pumps mounted on the structure under the shelf with just the heads protruding.
It will be constructed of 1.5 steel tube and angle.
I haven't seen the prelim drawings yet so that's what I have so far. I thnk I want to run some kind of junction box to it so the kettles plug right into the stand.
I need a good source for casters if anyone has one?

Cheers
Scott[/quote]

Tractor Supply has a lot of caster options. Go for swivel casters.
I've consumed all of my homebrew. I'm worried. I can't relax. Now what?

Pvt. 1st Class BN Army
DCBC

Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Thank you!
Beer, what all good things are built upon!
Primary:
Lagering:
On tap: Wharfside Porter
On tap: Braw Jock
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:40 am

DCBC wrote:Tractor Supply has a lot of caster options. Go for swivel casters.

I got my swivel casters from McMaster Carr with an order of o-rings. Dirt cheap & good quality. Excellent quality for the price. Just another option you might want to look into.

Cheers
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Brewing Sculptures