Converting to Natural Gas

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:28 pm

I have a Brutus-style 3-burner brew rig that I've been using Propane successfully for over a year. I am having a 3/4" Natural Gas line run into my garage that will be stepped down to 1/2". What do I need to do to convert my high pressure burners to Natural gas. I'm going to use a Natural Gas Connection Hose to connect the Natural gas to my Brutus.
My questions are: 1) what do I need to do to convert my High Pressure burners to Natural gas use? and 2) will I have a an issue supplying enough gas to my burners with my setup?
BN Army CORPORAL http://mega-brew.com :bnarmy:
gruversm

Re: Converting to Natural Gas

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:05 pm

You want to calculate the pipe sizing and determine if it might be better to stay 3/4" all the way to your garage.

Your plumber or utility company can help - they need to measure the pressure you currently have, figure out the demand you will be using (2 burners at the same time?) and determine your pipe sizing.

My understanding is that you will need to switch out your burners - your current propane burners will not work with low pressure NG

http://morebeer.com/view_product/17249/ ... atural_Gas
bcmaui

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:47 pm

It might be possible for him to re-jet his burners. I did this once to a LP BBQ grill - and it involved figuring out the natty gas pressure, and picking the right size drill bit to drill out the jets, to achieve the same BTUs.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Mylo wrote:It might be possible for him to re-jet his burners. I did this once to a LP BBQ grill - and it involved figuring out the natty gas pressure, and picking the right size drill bit to drill out the jets, to achieve the same BTUs.

Mylo

That's one of my questions: What size drill bit do I use (or how do I figure it out) to drill out the jet?

I'm now reading that a 1/16" drill bit should do the job.
gruversm

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 am

bcmaui wrote:You want to calculate the pipe sizing and determine if it might be better to stay 3/4" all the way to your garage.

+1 on that. If you're running multiple high BTU burners at once, a 1/2" likely won't cut it. When I told a plumber that I wanted to have two burners going at ~100,000 BTUs each, he pointed out that was more BTUs than my furnace, cloths dryer, and hot water heater combined. I wasn't going be able to tap off the line I wanted to. I've now decided to go electric, but that's a different thread.
Aging: Gotlandsdrickå, Baltic Porter in Bourbon barrel, Olde Ale #2 in whiskey barrel
On Draft: Nothing. Building a walk-in cooler right now.
foomench

Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:29 am

foomench wrote:
bcmaui wrote:You want to calculate the pipe sizing and determine if it might be better to stay 3/4" all the way to your garage.

+1 on that. If you're running multiple high BTU burners at once, a 1/2" likely won't cut it. When I told a plumber that I wanted to have two burners going at ~100,000 BTUs each, he pointed out that was more BTUs than my furnace, cloths dryer, and hot water heater combined. I wasn't going be able to tap off the line I wanted to. I've now decided to go electric, but that's a different thread.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will, in fact, be running 3/4" all the way into my garage. The 1/2" will only be used to make the quick disconnect connection.
gruversm

Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:14 pm

Given Propane regulators reduce to 10 Psi and greater, and NG is 0.5 Psi, the control orifice has to be drilled out. Was not aware the jets had to be modified, just the fitting.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:00 pm

One option is to chunk the propane burners and replace them with NG burners from your friendly curb-side hot water heater store. If you know a plumber they've probably got hundreds of dead hot water heaters laying around the yard (mine does, and talk about mosquito heaven!).

I looked at that same hose in Lowes and I think it's 3/8 ID. Stuff I read said 3/8 was too small so I got 1/2" connects and hose at a local bearing/hydraulic shop. It may not have mattered because I have to turn the NG burner way down to keep the wort from jumping out of the pot!

You're gonna love NG!

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Next

Return to Brewing Sculptures