Asheville/Charlotte NC

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:37 am

The Mrs. & I are headed to western NC for 4 days in January to check out some breweries in Asheville & Charlotte. We are planning on spending 2 nights in Asheville and 2 around Charlotte. For sure we are going to try and make it Sierra Nevada, Wicked Weed & Oskar Blues. I only know of Unknown Brewery in Charlotte and don't really know anything about them. Any suggestions for other breweries, including must see and must not see? Thanks in advance. :jnj
"The word unblowupable is tossed around a lot these days..."
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Re: Asheville/Charlotte NC

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:57 pm

We are also considering moving the Charlotte part of our trip to Raliegh Durham. It looks like it might be a little more interesting beer wise.
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:50 am

Nothing new for ya, but do not miss out on the Sierra Nevada tour. Absolutely killer!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:36 am

Check out charlottebeer.com for going on in Charlotte. In Charlotte there are two areas for beer; Noda and Southend areas. Noda is short for North Davidson and is home to several breweries and bottle shops. Most notably is probably Noda Brewing who won the IPA category at World Beer cup with their Hop Drop and Roll. In Southend there is a cluster of breweries and bottle shops as well. If you like lagers, check out Old Mecklenburg, they just won a gold medal for the Mecktoberfest at the European Beer Star.
Corporal in the NC Battalion
Millhaus

Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks, Millhaus!!
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:42 pm

In Asheville, I'd definitely checkout the Funkatorium (by Wicked Weed) and the bottleshop across the street, Tasty Beverage Company.
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:22 pm

TastyMcD wrote:In Asheville, I'd definitely checkout the Funkatorium (by Wicked Weed) and the bottleshop across the street, Tasty Beverage Company.

Can I pick up a Tasty sticker there?

Yes, the Funkatorium is at the very tip top of the list. I have also heard good things about the Wedge across the street. I've been to Asheville several times, I grew up very close in SC. It seems that these days downtown Asheville is basically a bunch of breweries with streets laid between them.

Has anyone been to the Mills River Sierra Nevada brewery??
Homer Simpson
bazookazilla

Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:19 am

bazookazilla wrote:
Has anyone been to the Mills River Sierra Nevada brewery??

I was up there about 3 months ago and do recommend going. The facility itself and the restaurant are great but the beer selection is surprisingly average (only a few things you can't get elsewhere along with the normal lineup). The guided tours were booked solid a month ahead of time so we had to do a self guided tour which was still interesting.
Insert beer quote of dubious origin here

Corporal - BN Army :bnarmy:
Military Finance Division
Charlotte, NC
KiltedDrummer

Next

Return to Travel