San Diego

Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:01 pm

Headed to San Diego next week for the first time in a couple years - what new breweries should I make sure to visit?
Berkbeer

Re: San Diego

Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:39 am

Hopefully I'm not too late!!! I'd recommend checking out Societe, Rip Current (up in San Marcos if you have a vehicle) and definitely check out Stone's Liberty Station restaurant if you want to be "ahh'd" by what the brewery has done around here. Depending on how long it has been, if you want to 'geek' out, you can always visit the white labs tasting room. Otherwise, I'd recommend trying out a lot of the gastropubs/bars around the area that have a wide selection of local beers. That way you don't have to travel far. Majority of the breweries are usually 15-30 minutes north of San Diego.
Beerd Man

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am

Here's a constantly updated list of SD county breweries you can check out:

http://www.westcoastersd.com/sd-brewing-industry-watch/
Beerd Man

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:28 am

Heading to SD for the first time on Sunday. So far Stone is the only place on my "must see" list. And if it matters, I'll have the six month old in tow... Any other cant miss places?
siwelwerd

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Societe -- Doug is one of the original BN Nutter Brothers
Lost Abby
Green Flash
Alesmith
Pizza Port

You are in for a treat!
Can't wait for NHC next year
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:38 am

Thanks for the tips. We hit Pizza Port last night, and I was quite impressed--20 of their own beers, plus 12 local guests on tap, including Pliny (!). Like most around here, I suspect, they don't quite know what "session" means, but the two beers I tried were really tasty, if not exactly 'to style'. Great pizza as well, and a really friendly staff.

The other ones BDawg listed seem to only have taprooms, not restaurants, so it will be harder for me to convince SWMBO to go there. Hopefully I'll find them at a restaurant, if we don't make it to them. Societe is really close to our hotel though, so maybe I can swing that one.
siwelwerd

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:26 pm

Stone has a restaurant. I shouldn't have left that one off, Drew.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:18 am

siwelwerd wrote:Thanks for the tips. We hit Pizza Port last night, and I was quite impressed--20 of their own beers, plus 12 local guests on tap, including Pliny (!). Like most around here, I suspect, they don't quite know what "session" means, but the two beers I tried were really tasty, if not exactly 'to style'. Great pizza as well, and a really friendly staff.

The other ones BDawg listed seem to only have taprooms, not restaurants, so it will be harder for me to convince SWMBO to go there. Hopefully I'll find them at a restaurant, if we don't make it to them. Societe is really close to our hotel though, so maybe I can swing that one.

Then go to Obriens for lunch. Solid tap list and great pub food. During the day its really chill to roll with children.

Lewy
My Homebrewing Adventures/Blog

Image @Lewybrewing
________
Corporal BN Army. South San Diego Platoon, TJ Protection Force
Lewybrewing

Next

Return to Travel